What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amino acids as a Heliamphora fertiliser

There was an interesting topic on one of the other CP forums about using amino acids as a CP fertiliser. The topic mainly concentrated on using it in Heliamphora pitchers. I've been trying this myself by applying a small amount of L-glutamine powder to the pitchers of my Heliamphora heterodoxa x ionasii and it it currently putting out six new pitchers, with the latest one to open being a good size. My trial is in no way scientific, as I am not performing a comparison between this and a non fertilised Heliamphora but the growth rate does seem to be good for a plant that doesn't receive any other nutrients.

Interesting... I'm taking glutamine myself and it's doin wonders after workouts! :D But in all honestly that is interesting makes sense though... Kinda.. Proteins break down into BCAAs (Branched Chain Amino Acids) and 60% of those are L- glutamine. If I remember from biology amino acids are the building blocks of all living things so essentially it'd be giving them a power boost. Any arguments with my theory?

Last edited:
I recall reading that L-glutamine breaks down to ammonia and glutamic acid when in solution. Maybe the plant is benefiting from the ammonia? Urea, which is used as a fertiliser, is synthesized from ammonia and carbon dioxide.

Slightly off topic, but there is a good article on urea production HERE.

Last edited:
Back