Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whie Deutsch Schäfer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a good looking dog I take it Louie is a French bulldog? How old is he? If you're looking to get some shepherd as your next dog I'd recommend a full blood shep unless you're trying to get a smaller size breed. We don't have the room to accommodate ours but we're moving to a new place in 2 weeks with a full fenced in backyard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks,

Yes, French bulldog. Louie turned 3 in June. He's a very stubborn but SUPER loving and sweet dog. Not a mean bone in his body .

Having dealt with the purebred costs I'd like my next dog to be a mutt, possibly a rescue. I do like the shepard mixes though. If I was going to get a purebred I'd probably get a white GSD like yours. They're a little more laid back than the "standard" GSD's from what I've read. Plus they're beautiful...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you brought that up. Price wise, Blitz was more affordable then you'd think. Most GSD I saw were close to 800 - 1000 but searching out in the country (outside of Louisville) I found multiple offers for purebreds in the low 300-400s. I know that this is not in everyones budget but it was much more affordable for me. My main search was for a doberman but I had a VERY difficult time finding anything 800 - 1000. The only I am afraid of rescuing mutts is the temperament they've picked up from their previous owner. The cause is more than just but the risk sometimes is very heavy. You have a great looking french bulldog and I'm sure you enjoy his company and character as much as I enjoy my WGSD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you definetly get what you pay for. I searched breeders for over a year before I bought a "pet quality" dog from a breeder in the upper penninsula. We've had zero problems with him so far- both temperment and health wise. I paid $1600 for him.

That's actually a good price. Bulldogs are prone to health problems (moreso with the 'english' variety than the frenchies) so you actually save money getting a good quality dog in the long run. You have a little more leeway with other breeds. Looks like you picked a good one!
    Last edited by FlyedPiper; 07-17-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya there's always health risks with the larger and smaller breeds but yikes 1600 is steep!! In the end though regardless of how much you pay you come to the conclusion that you can't put a price on the little guys
    For dobies and GSD its the hip dysplasia. I'm trying to keep him as active as possible to help it not settle in early. We were going to get him x-rayed but our Vet recommended against doing so. He said there's really no need unless you're wanting to get the dog AKC cert and/or breed him which we have no current intentions on doing. Hopefully like you said I and him got lucky and won't have to deal with that issue. Dobies also have the problem of having too small of a skull, like chihuahuas, which causes them to have frequent seizures. I'm eventually going to have to get a dobie so let's hope we luck out again :P

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123