Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Countertop Water Distillers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's still 25c/gall for most parts of CA, whether that be machine or a persons store.. (yes, we have those).

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by i<3carnivores View Post
    Ah, that makes sense, I suppose.

My question is, just how do you get 10 gallons of water for $3.00? Like, what brand, what kind of water, because for me, it IS about $1/gallon, so that'd be far superior.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=122672
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you know people who have to run dehumidifiers in their basements, they should be able to supply most of the water you need for outdoor plants. Distilled water is the waste product, so the cost is free, other than for the time to collect it. I can get a couple gallons of water per day out of mine in midsummer. I have a 7.5 gallon covered tub that I dump the water into and I fill plastic jugs from that. I used to have 20+ gallons of storage to bridge dry periods and I thought about getting a drum or two. The process works fine until the dew point drops in September and the basement gets dry again. But the outdoor water demand drops at that time too, so it isn't a huge problem, especially if you can store a lot.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i<3carnivores you have to bring your own water carrying receptacle to get it cheaper. If it's already in the gallon jug it's higher. If you bring your bottle(s) or a big 5 gallon pail back with you next time you only pay $0.30 a gallon around here whereas you pay $0.99 a gallon if you get it along with their jug.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!! =)

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jafvortex93 View Post
    some water refilling machines give you the option of refilling your jugs with distilled water for like 35 cents (guesstimate). all i know is that the machines are cheaper than buying new gallons every time you need water and that some machines offer distilled water option.
    I tried googling Glacier Water and places that would provide this. I can't find any in New York State. Obviously, California has this... but it must be a West Coast thing. Maybe I'm not using the correct search verbiage?

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    If you know people who have to run dehumidifiers in their basements, they should be able to supply most of the water you need for outdoor plants. Distilled water is the waste product, so the cost is free, other than for the time to collect it. I can get a couple gallons of water per day out of mine in midsummer. I have a 7.5 gallon covered tub that I dump the water into and I fill plastic jugs from that. I used to have 20+ gallons of storage to bridge dry periods and I thought about getting a drum or two. The process works fine until the dew point drops in September and the basement gets dry again. But the outdoor water demand drops at that time too, so it isn't a huge problem, especially if you can store a lot.
    Supposedly, the AC discharge water is clean... but I don't entirely trust it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to catch the water dripping from my neighbor's AC. Like what comes from my dehumidifier, I wouldn't say it's clean, but it should have relatively low TDS. I've never tested the water I use and I wouldn't rule out that it might have elevated levels of copper and zinc, but plants have done fine with it. I wouldn't trust using it for aquatic animals without further testing.

Commercial ACs must drain water to something and, if you can tap into one of those, you'd get more water than you'd ever use. The problem is that you'd have to make sure you aren't tapping into a line draining blow-down water from an evaporative cooling unit. Those should be much less common in NY than they are out west, but what they drain is even more concentrated than tap water.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    Supposedly, the AC discharge water is clean... but I don't entirely trust it.
    I would assume that any other vapours that are in the air would also get into it. I used to have a condenser tumble dryer and the condensed water used to smell of washing powder/fabric conditioner, so I never dared to try it on my plants.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast