What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clear acrylic pipes?

No I'm not making doper paraphernelia but actually looking for a clear acrylic pipe tube that is 12" - 18" in diameter and 24" high Or other larger interesting sizes so I can create a round column vivarium or two. I found some at McMaster Carr but $900 is a bit steep for me! LOL

http://www.mcmaster.com/#acrylic-pipe/=7e8faf

Anyone have leads on such a product? I don't need it to be acrylic material, I'll take glass or polycarbonate, as long as it's clear and won't discolor under T5 HO lighting and isn't requiring my good kidney in exchange! LOL

---------- Post added at 01:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

This is the sort of thing I'm looking for:

11.jpg

source: http://www.orchidkarma.com/day-1-what-does-it-entail/

Those look great! Perfect way to display some mantids, eh?

Looking at the pricing on the net, DIY might be the only option. Maybe a few thin sheets of acrylic rolled up together? Around what temperature will acrylic bend? A sheet on the smaller end of your scale may fit in an oven...

Keep us posted on your project!

Maybe look for a company specialized in display material ?
I've come across a project once were someone got huge acrylic domes from such a place.

The largest they are offering is only 5 1/4" inside diameter. At the top they also state they only sell it in 6' lengths. There pricing does look reasonable, so maybe it could be special ordered from there. Looking around, it seems the tooling required to make the larger diameter tubing is why the cost is getting so high.

If someone could fabricate something that was more cost effective yet still had the same aesthetic appeal, they could make a few bucks.

Makes me think of TAP plastics. If they don't have it, they'll find or make it.

Google "acrylic/plexiglass tubing"

That's how I came across the McMaster Carr link. But most manufacturers stop at 6 or 8" diameters.

I actually got the idea by seeing a 3 or 5 gallon aquarium kit for kids at the petshop that has a similar round tube but it's not nearly as big as I want, I think it was 8" diameter and 12" High. About twice the diameter and height is what I'm looking for and bigger is always better. But once you get out of the 6" diameter range the prices are getting astronomical.

Back