What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to lacps/bacps meetings in 2 weekends?

thez_yo

instigator
I want to go to some CP society meeting. I'm trying to decide if I want to drive 2 hours to get up to LA and go to the lacps meeting and drive back, or if I want to fly the 2 hours into Oakland airport, go to the bacps meeting, then fly back. Yes, I have a cp problem :crazy:

Is it easy to catch a cab or something to the bacps meeting from the airport up in Oakland (or is there a different airport I should fly into, for those native to the area)? I'd love the chance to meet some of you guys on here.

that. is. awesome. either way. i'd think youd get more bang for your buck if you went to the BACPS one, since there will be vendors offering plants at discounted prices. plus it's supposed to be the big CP meet of the year (besides the potluck i guess). dont know what the peeps down in so-cal are up to though.

that. is. awesome. either way. i'd think youd get more bang for your buck if you went to the BACPS one, since there will be vendors offering plants at discounted prices. plus it's supposed to be the big CP meet of the year (besides the potluck i guess). dont know what the peeps down in so-cal are up to though.

Hehe, I totally shouldn't buy more plants at all! If I did, I don't know if I'm allowed to bring them on a plane with me though I did see two different people carrying live orchid plants with them the last two times I've flown.

Do you know if it's easy and maybe how much it would cost to catch a cab from the airport to the meeting? Google says it'd take 12 minutes without traffic to get there, but I don't know how much they charge. I think I'd end up having to fly in on some early-ish plane in the morning, go to the meeting, and take off in the evening afterwards back for San Diego.

I have no idea what it will cost but 12 min. is not a very long ride. I would guess that it will be under 20 each way. I have never taken a cab down there I always drive.

Amp is right it is the biggest (really only) meeting that is open to the public ( non-BACPS members). They do get you to jion upon entering, but it's free so no biggy. Not only are there vendors, but all the BACPS members bring in their prize plants for judging. So you get to see a lot of amazing plants grown by fellow CP addicts! :grin:

I will be entering my N. Peter D'Amato X Maxima. As stated from Amp I can't speak for the LACPS peeps either.

It would be an easy cab ride but I don't know how much it would cost. $15 ?? you could also check out BART:
Oak airport station to Lake Merritt sta then a walk or cab.

2 hour drive isn't too bad, way cheaper than a plane ticket and cab ride! I'm not sure which, but I think one of our upcoming meetings will be at the CSUF greenhouse. That would be an even shorter drive for ya.

Frill & 8: 10-4

2 hour drive isn't too bad, way cheaper than a plane ticket and cab ride! I'm not sure which, but I think one of our upcoming meetings will be at the CSUF greenhouse. That would be an even shorter drive for ya.

See, I thought one of these upcoming LACPS meetings was not going to be at Alhambra Chamber of Commerce, but it keeps being there so I don't really want to go now in favor of going to one that's at a nice garden like Huntington Botanical Gardens. I'd rather pay more than have to fight with LA traffic, too, if it's going to be at Alhambra.

Why take a cab, when you can get a free ride? I'm driving up there from San Jose early to help set up, I see no reason I can take a short break and head over to the airport.

Why take a cab, when you can get a free ride? I'm driving up there from San Jose early to help set up, I see no reason I can take a short break and head over to the airport.

Really?! :blush: Thanks! That settles it then - I'll fly out to the BACPS. Hopefully I don't buy anything. :-))

c'mon zuz....thats like saying the sun's not going to shine tomorrow.

I wish it were all that easy for me. Have some one pick me up. 3K miles of ocean in the way.....

I wish it were all that easy for me. Have some one pick me up. 3K miles of ocean in the way.....

I was just out in Hawaii over the weekend ... the flight is a rough 5 hour direct from Honolulu to San Diego. Sometimes you just gotta go though, ya know?

Hey Thez, I have flown from Florida to Michigan several times with Sarrs as my carry-on with no problems at all so there’s no excuse. :) Besides I can’t think of a better kind of carry-on…can you? ???

BTW, I’ve driven 4 and half hours (several times) to go to the BACPS meetings and I’ve never regretted it. I’ll probably be going to the next one too.

Fred - I get that feeling too (that I won't regret it).

I just got plane tix from San Diego to SFO (couldn't get into Oakland for a reasonable price at a reasonable time) - anyone riding past it on their way in? I get in at around 10:30AM and leave from SFO at 7:30PM (Oh I've got time to kill afterwards - dinner anyone?).

Hmmm....

Teaches me to read my PM's first! I think you typoed, 'cause you said your plane left @ 2:30.

7:30 is still tight, but better than 2:30.

Still, how 'bout San Jose, huh? ;) Wherever you choose, we'll go.

Hmmm....

Teaches me to read my PM's first! I think you typoed, 'cause you said your plane left @ 2:30.

7:30 is still tight, but better than 2:30.

Still, how 'bout San Jose, huh? ;) Wherever you choose, we'll go.

Oops again...Well I guess I'll know next time about buying tickets - ask more people about it first. Google its telling me I'll spend an hour trying to get to the meeting :0o: ...I don't think I can change my tickets at this point, so I'll just like...pay out the bum in cab fare or something :crap:. Teaches me to do something non-nepenthes-related.

Call them.......... Won't cost you a dime.

Update: Changed tix, am flying into Oakland. I need to be at the airport at 6 or 6:30 but if anyone wants to meetup for early dinner or something before that, I'd love to kick it with you guys. If anyone wants something in trade from my growlist, please tell me and maybe I'll fly it up. I might bring some rooted basals, N.veitchiiXplatychila and D.kenneallyi (cuz it hates me) with me...also getting an N.ventrinermis I don't want and a N.ventricosa X carunculata robusta for free that I don't think I have room for later this week that I'm 99% sure I want to give away. and Clue: I'll bring you an H.nutans if you want.

i can take the kenneallyi off your hands :). could give you a lanata in return if you want to try your luck.

Back