Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Camera with good close ups

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silenceisgod View Post
    As cameras become more advanced and cheaper, (Rate of about 2x per eighteen months or so), photographers who have to work to get that right shot will be forced into a little corner. I'm a complete amateur but I can take a great shot with my dad's camera that has a good macro lens, yet with mine I'm an absolute failure. And his is several years old. If someone spends a thousand bucks on a well rated camera nowadays, they can do as well as what people have posted, or better. That's why someone doesn't need to get into photography to take great shots, as Bryophyta69 is trying to say (He just wants a good camera!).

There was a time when professional photographers would use magnesium flashes, spend hours on a single shot, work specifically with the lighting, and spend much of their time elbow deep in hazardous chemicals developing the film themselves. A cheap digital camera now will give much greater results than that, and they're only getting better.
    Sorry but I take GREAT exception with your comments. The camera, no matter how modern or expensive is just a tool. No camera can take good photos without the person behind it knowing what they are doing.

Someone spending a thousand dollars on a camera will still take piss poor shots if he doesn't know what he is doing, yet a good photographer can take great shots with a five dollar film disposable.

Don't confuse the ease of todays photographic tools with the skill needed to capture the image. That's as insulting as telling a good chef that his food tastes great because he has expensive, modern cookware.

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry if I offended you. The point I was trying to make is that the gap is getting smaller and smaller and smaller. Besides basic skills (Which I barely have) a camera really does make the difference, calculating and adjusting flash level and exact zoom to which you really don't have to do much in comparison to what it used to be. Take one of these professionals and put them in a situation where they just have an old film camera with a magnesium flash and you'll see what I mean.

I apologize to all photographers, but if you feel that the camera makes no difference, and a good one can't let an amateur make great shots, you're just deluding yourself.
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silenceisgod View Post
    Sorry if I offended you. The point I was trying to make is that the gap is getting smaller and smaller and smaller. Besides basic skills (Which I barely have) a camera really does make the difference, calculating and adjusting flash level and exact zoom to which you really don't have to do much in comparison to what it used to be. Take one of these professionals and put them in a situation where they just have an old film camera with a magnesium flash and you'll see what I mean.

I apologize to all photographers, but if you feel that the camera makes no difference, and a good one can't let an amateur make great shots, you're just deluding yourself.
    A good modern camera will help anyone with metering, focusing, etc. BUT, the flash level is not easily adjustable in a cheap digital P&S. that is why i suggested one where the flash can just be turned off and use a cheap tripod for the shot.
    That being said, today's cameras set to an all auto mode can help with getting good technical results, but will still not help with composition, where to focus, etc. these things do not change no matter what tool is being used. just buying a modern camera is not the easy answer some think it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also Cannon SX10 IS 279.00
    close up setting w/flash

Macro setting no flash, this is about the best i can get with out setting on a tripod ,
    the image stabilization makes quite a nice addition, this is free hand at 2" from pitcher.

Macro setting w/ flash. problem hers you cant get in too close the lens shades the object,
    so this is , about three inches from pitcher
    this is just for your reference , I'm no pro by any means , hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An expensive modern camera is very helpful in taking a properly exposed macro photo. An amateur will get plenty of good photos from it. But, it you want great photos, you've got to go the extra mile. You need years of experience, gotta be able to find just the right angle and just the right lighting. If lighting is not ideal, you'll need to know how to manipulate light. It's more than just a simple point and click of the shutter button with an expensive camera.
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flashes are great to use provided that your camera allows you to have a flash mounted elsewhere. The problem with a good flash isnt that it will blowout your picture, its that it will make the picture look flat. If you can mount your flash off camera, you will obtain more detail in your pictures. I used to flashes in the picture I posted earlier in this thread, one flas was several inches about the subject and maybe a little to the right? The other was several inches to the left of the subject.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    taken with a cannon A620

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Canon A series was one of the best bargins in the camera world. I still use an A630 for ebay work but have switched to a G9 for when i don't want to carry a dslr

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast