What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera with good close ups

Do not want to take up photography, just want a good cheap camera with a good macro setting.???

Do not want to take up photography, just want a good cheap camera with a good macro setting.???
Even some of the cheap ones may have the no flash option and a cheap table top tripod for a light camera can be bought for ten bucks. No sense going super cheap now and regretting it later. Try doing a search at http://www.dpreview.com in their camera buying section, or join the group..then you can post questions.

I use a Canon A570. It's now an 'old' model, but still good. I got it as Christmas/b-day from family. It was $100 on closeout a couple yrs back due to being an old model.

I then got an Opteka high def. 10x macro lens from Amazon. It was $5 including shipping, because they give you credit off of your first order after applying for an Amazon Visa. You don't ever have to use the card again, but that first time credit is worth it.

These are some pics I recently took with it.

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122808

Also, a few other from another time prior.

leaf.jpg

fly-2.jpg

hungry-plant.jpg

David

As cameras become more advanced and cheaper, (Rate of about 2x per eighteen months or so), photographers who have to work to get that right shot will be forced into a little corner. I'm a complete amateur but I can take a great shot with my dad's camera that has a good macro lens, yet with mine I'm an absolute failure. And his is several years old. If someone spends a thousand bucks on a well rated camera nowadays, they can do as well as what people have posted, or better. That's why someone doesn't need to get into photography to take great shots, as Bryophyta69 is trying to say (He just wants a good camera!).

There was a time when professional photographers would use magnesium flashes, spend hours on a single shot, work specifically with the lighting, and spend much of their time elbow deep in hazardous chemicals developing the film themselves. A cheap digital camera now will give much greater results than that, and they're only getting better.

:mad:
As cameras become more advanced and cheaper, (Rate of about 2x per eighteen months or so), photographers who have to work to get that right shot will be forced into a little corner. I'm a complete amateur but I can take a great shot with my dad's camera that has a good macro lens, yet with mine I'm an absolute failure. And his is several years old. If someone spends a thousand bucks on a well rated camera nowadays, they can do as well as what people have posted, or better. That's why someone doesn't need to get into photography to take great shots, as Bryophyta69 is trying to say (He just wants a good camera!).

There was a time when professional photographers would use magnesium flashes, spend hours on a single shot, work specifically with the lighting, and spend much of their time elbow deep in hazardous chemicals developing the film themselves. A cheap digital camera now will give much greater results than that, and they're only getting better.

Sorry but I take GREAT exception with your comments. The camera, no matter how modern or expensive is just a tool. No camera can take good photos without the person behind it knowing what they are doing.

Someone spending a thousand dollars on a camera will still take piss poor shots if he doesn't know what he is doing, yet a good photographer can take great shots with a five dollar film disposable.

Don't confuse the ease of todays photographic tools with the skill needed to capture the image. That's as insulting as telling a good chef that his food tastes great because he has expensive, modern cookware.

Sorry if I offended you. The point I was trying to make is that the gap is getting smaller and smaller and smaller. Besides basic skills (Which I barely have) a camera really does make the difference, calculating and adjusting flash level and exact zoom to which you really don't have to do much in comparison to what it used to be. Take one of these professionals and put them in a situation where they just have an old film camera with a magnesium flash and you'll see what I mean.

I apologize to all photographers, but if you feel that the camera makes no difference, and a good one can't let an amateur make great shots, you're just deluding yourself.

Sorry if I offended you. The point I was trying to make is that the gap is getting smaller and smaller and smaller. Besides basic skills (Which I barely have) a camera really does make the difference, calculating and adjusting flash level and exact zoom to which you really don't have to do much in comparison to what it used to be. Take one of these professionals and put them in a situation where they just have an old film camera with a magnesium flash and you'll see what I mean.

I apologize to all photographers, but if you feel that the camera makes no difference, and a good one can't let an amateur make great shots, you're just deluding yourself.

A good modern camera will help anyone with metering, focusing, etc. BUT, the flash level is not easily adjustable in a cheap digital P&S. that is why i suggested one where the flash can just be turned off and use a cheap tripod for the shot.
That being said, today's cameras set to an all auto mode can help with getting good technical results, but will still not help with composition, where to focus, etc. these things do not change no matter what tool is being used. just buying a modern camera is not the easy answer some think it is.

also Cannon SX10 IS 279.00
close up setting w/flash
IMG_1832-1.jpg

Macro setting no flash, this is about the best i can get with out setting on a tripod ,
the image stabilization makes quite a nice addition, this is free hand at 2" from pitcher.
IMG_2131.jpg

Macro setting w/ flash. problem hers you cant get in too close the lens shades the object,
so this is , about three inches from pitcher
IMG_2133.jpg
this is just for your reference , I'm no pro by any means , hope this helps.

An expensive modern camera is very helpful in taking a properly exposed macro photo. An amateur will get plenty of good photos from it. But, it you want great photos, you've got to go the extra mile. You need years of experience, gotta be able to find just the right angle and just the right lighting. If lighting is not ideal, you'll need to know how to manipulate light. It's more than just a simple point and click of the shutter button with an expensive camera.

Flashes are great to use provided that your camera allows you to have a flash mounted elsewhere. The problem with a good flash isnt that it will blowout your picture, its that it will make the picture look flat. If you can mount your flash off camera, you will obtain more detail in your pictures. I used to flashes in the picture I posted earlier in this thread, one flas was several inches about the subject and maybe a little to the right? The other was several inches to the left of the subject.

The Canon A series was one of the best bargins in the camera world. I still use an A630 for ebay work but have switched to a G9 for when i don't want to carry a dslr

@Bryophyta69: while getting recommendations from folks who have specific cameras is one approach -
- people's opinions will be biased toward (or possibly against) set-ups they've used
- some of the best options for your needs may not come out since not all viable options will be represented among the TF crowd

In prior threads, several good sites which review the different types of cameras have been listed. I recommend that some time is spent there to see what is available that will meet your needs - however, at your price point, your options are limited and used units should be considered...

@silenceisgod: I agree with much of chibae's response - while today's cameras allow the average person to more easily point a camera in the direction of their subject and end up with a reasonably clear, in-focus, well-exposed shot - the composition of the photo is still in the hands of the photographer. Most of the images posted on TF are poorly composed documentation photos and lack artistic merit - although they typically satisfy the original poster's intent. Photo's taken by someone who truly has an eye for the artistic (& technical) factors of composition will usually display a 'depth' that can keep one admiring the result for some time.....sometimes for incredible periods....:0o: :hail:

Thanx for all the comments guys, some good info here.

guess I'm taking this camera to the pawn shop then.. no worries. Happy hunting!

Back