What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/world/asia/14minerals.html?no_interstitial

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...ghan_resources_071113/20071113?hub=TopStories

UM?
U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan.
What is this about and what is the impact on Afghanistan?
Are the superpowers going to try and control Afghanistan?
This has been known about for years but this is the first I have heard of it.
They are not yet equipped to mine on this scale and mining could lead to environmental disaster there.
Look at us with the oil spill.
What do you think?

Business sharks worldwide are already on top of it, trust me such a finding doesn't go unheard for long.

Business sharks worldwide are already on top of it, trust me such a finding doesn't go unheard for long.

Yes,
That is what I'm afraid of!
Other countries taking ALL the profit and paying next to nothing to the county they are taking from.
I hate that.
Africa is a prime example. With all there diamonds and gold, Africa should be a rich country with no starvation and next to no disease.
Sorry for bringing such a touchy subject, but I had to voice my opinion.
Peace,
Zero

yes they will pay them next to nothing since the UN seems to need more powers in international trade regulations. That supply is the sovereign property of the Afrghanis not corporate suits. to be deployed by the vote of their people only.

The US government used to move indian reservations whenever something useful was discovered on the land they penned them in on, this is no different - they've just taken to moving someone else's indians.

Why do you think the afghan war has been the longest running US conflict in American history? To fight "terrorism"? LOL There's something there the corporate interest wants, other than the opium. Notice how there are bigger and bigger crops there every year since the US occupation.... Whenever there is a war these days just look to see who stands to profit and on what and then you'll see what the war is really all about despite the hash they sell you on TV.

Last edited:
The US government used to move indian reservations whenever something useful was discovered on the land they penned them in on, this is no different - they've just taken to moving someone else's indians.

Why do you think the afghan war has been the longest running US conflict in American history? To fight "terrorism"? LOL There's something there the corporate interest wants, other than the opium. Notice how there are bigger and bigger crops there every year since the US occupation.... Whenever there is a war these days just look to see who stands to profit and on what and then you'll see what the war is really all about despite the hash they sell you on TV.
There is a solution!! the Miggie minds and Swords minds must combine to rule out and make the evilies kneel to the might of 2 TF thinkers :p Together we can create a paradise to last till we say so :p

there is no point in fighting in Afghanistan short of nuking them.....its a tribal state full of hundreds of tribes that hate each other.....short of an extermination there will be no "win"......

as far as the mineral riches your going to see China and Japan looking to beg borrow and steal to get them given Afghanistan's location.....those two countries are in much more need of raw materials than the US is anymore.....there are no major rivers in Afghanistan a complete build of the infrastructure from the ground up is going to be needed....highways or railroads will need to be built....

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

BTW all you proponents of electric cars should be dancing at the discovery.....the only major Lithium mine in the world at the moment is Chile.....the world is going to need lithium for those electric car batteries.....doesnt matter if we make them or the Japs do.....

doesnt matter if we make them or the Japs do

I think you mean the Japanese :slap:

Don't forget, to the Japanese, the term "Japs" is no different that the "N" word.

So, while I am fairly certain you meant no offense, and this was just lazy typing....

:nono:

if the result of typing short hand which is common on internet forums offends someone they need to grow a thicker skin......if someone cant objectively look at the intent of the usage and see that no malice was intended thats their problem not mine....

keep in mind i may be white but i grew up the minority out numbered 4-1......really saw no point in the poor me stance cause i was out numbered.....

LOL Swords this goes hand in hand with some movies I have seen on youtube. "Fall of the Republic" and "The Obama Deception" and also goes hand in hand with "Terror Storm" and the theory of false flag operations and such. So it looks like we found the reason for the false flag operation that is thought to have brought down the twin towers.

Environmental damage? I'm not trying to be (too) sarcastic but what environment is there to damage? It's not like there is a lush rainforest or wetland qt risk of being destroyed. Look at the picture included in the article... There's a sheep herder surrounded by absolutely nothing in the middle of nowhere.

I say mine it, and if a few poppy plants get stepped then so be it.

Strip mines are a horrible site to see. There is vast dessert plants there I'm sure.

Strip mines are a horrible site to see. There is vast dessert plants there I'm sure.

so you want to pump more oil out of the gulf?

you want dependence away from oil we need batteries.....for decent batteries you need lithium and lithium is not easy to find in good mine-able quantities.....currently the mines in Chile hold over half the earths know mine-able lithium....

do strip mines suck? yes but unless you want to start mass genocide to get rid of huge portions of the earths human population there isnt an option.....you want less pollution and no strip mines we need less ppl....

I don't believe using oil is a bad thing. Do it right though. The gulf is horrible yes but they could have had it stopped over a month ago. They are so hellbent on saving the well that it is causing the slick. BLOW THE DAMN THING UP and redrill. Stop the leak and redrill to that pocket of oil. To do it safely.

I believe the planet is in a cycle and not a global warming alarmist.

I am for batteries too. I just said stripmines are horrible, but that is not the only way to mine. So take with it what you will. We need the recources. Either oil, metal or other raw material.

The whole point of my post was a lil off topic to begin with. I am sure they knew about the mineral recourses there before the war started. They didnt just find them. That being the case. They may have needed a way to get mining started. The current people in power over there more than likely didn't want to drill. So you put in a new government that will allow the mining so that we can buy it. Had to have a reason to go to war to put a new government in. You run the false flag operation to get the ability to do smething they normally wouldn't be able to do otherwise under peace.

Just making you think.

cant blow up the oil leak......the fall out will be worse than the leak and im not talking nuclear fallout, im talking political fall out......and a nuke is the only explosion that will work at those depths, regular stuff wont amount to much more than a popcorn fart a mile down...if BP could turn it off they would even if it meant they couldnt save the darn thing....the hit their public image and stock is taking aint worth the saving of one well....

as far as the resources of Afghanistan.....im sure they knew they were there, just like they are present in any other mountainous area including the western US.....the only question was what kind of minerals and how much of them are there......mountainous areas are full of minerals cause the tectonic action that forms them brings deeply buried deposits to the surface and the increased volcanic activity associated witht he buckling will also concentrate minerals in other ways such as ancient hydrothermal deposits of Nevada's gold and silver

in all reality strip mining aint any better than tunnel mining......in tunnel mining you still have to pump the ground water out of the tunnels, ground water that gets over exposed to the minerals and oxygen and becomes toxic aswell......the only truly half eco friendly form of mining is for diamonds as they are usually found in chemically inert deposits.....anything else is going to cause issues no matter what kind of mining is done.....

The question burning in my mind is. Why is the Army looking for mineral deposits and other riches?

If the Afghgans were smart they would not let anyone but Afghgans mine thier deposits. Otherwise they will be stolen right from under them and they will be no richer than they were before. The World Bank being involved tells me it might already be too late for them. The framework is probably already place for a good fleecing.

alright ppl really need to get it out of their heads that Afghanistan is a country like Germany or England......its not, in alot of ways its more akin to North America around 1300AD or so....there is no Afghan ppl, there are alot of different ppl living within the borders of what we call Afghanistan.......there are a dozen or so groups split into hundreds of different tribes....and alot of them dont like each other.....they are not a unified nation like European countries or the like.....and this is also why short of extermination there is no winning in Afghanistan.....

there is no one ppl to unite to fight a group such as the Taliban.....you have individuals from the various groups that make up the Taliban.....and while some groups hate the Taliban they may hate another tribe in the region more than they hate the Taliban and have no interest in working together with each other....its a very complex issue....atleast in Iraq we are only dealing with 3 main groups not a dozen......

there really is no Afghan government, atleast not in the way any of us are used to thinking......is the area going to get exploited? definitely someone is going to and i dont unnecessarily think its going to be us, atleast not just us.....there are currently 38 different countries in Afghanistan though some are in support roles and dont have troops actually engaging in fighting.....and China as i said before has got to be chomping at the bit to get at those resources aswell.....

as far as how do they know.......aint hard to find most likely gold deposits, there are indicator minerals that show up where gold usually is.....send me out there and i could find likely areas, same way its been found in most places on earth......but in all reality you have alot of different ppl over there in alot of different disiplines, that there are also geologists there isnt surprising....

and there isnt a framework in place for fleecing......Afghanistan is one of the most backwards countries on earth......an entire infrastructure needs to be built to do any kind of serious mining of resources......someone is going to have to dump a ton of money into roads and raillines in order to do any serious mining.....

Back