User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northwest Trek Nature preserve (DUW)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Northwest Trek Nature preserve (DUW)

Yesterday i went to point defiance, and today my fiance took me to Northwest Trek as a late birthday present...had a great time.
    so here are some of the best pics i took pretty much one of atleast every photo i took, for the most part...lol
    and in no particular order, here they are.

Fishers

Wolverine

Badger

Lynx

Raccoon

Baby squirrel, so cute..

Golden Eagle

Bald Eagles

Pacific Toad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    River Otter

Beavers

Pacific Giant Salamander

Rubber Boa

Bees

Barn Owls

Skunk

couple of Cougars pacing around

Coyote

Grey Wolf about to pounce on a mouse

Grey Wolf shedding its winter coat

Black Bear butt

Grizzly Bear butt

Big Horn Sheep

Roosevelt Elk

Good ol' Bison

ive also got some pics of moose and some other smaller animals i took but most didnt turn out too well...these were the better or the best of the pictures i took.... out of 115 photos lol
    hope you enjoyed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics. Lol, captive fisher cats look so cute. They have been returning to my area and I recently saw one my mom says is living off the stray cat population. Bald eagles look huge in those pics. (I have only seen on, and it was flying over head) Cool zoo!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics and good to see zoos that do the natural setups, when I was a little kid we had the city zoo which was free but setup like a prison block for animals with cement cages, no decorations and fronted by iron bars. I hated that zoo. Even as a kid I knew the animals couldn't be happy penned up like that. I remember asking my mom what the animals did to get put in jail - we never went back to that place. We have the MN zoo which is far nicer for the animals with proper habitats like these.

Some 30 years later the city zoo is setup more like a proper facility with individual habitats and their botanical conservatory is where the orchid show is every year. Now the old "cellblock" is only a visitors center kept as a historic monument with the iron cages but I actually think it should be torn down, it's ugly and reminds me of the disgusting way animals used to be kept.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Northwest Trek is actually all natural land except for the cages made for the wolverines, fishers, otters, porcupines, and other "small" woodland creatures that could easily pass through the wire or dig under the fence surrounding the park...
    its a wildlife park made up of a large amount of donated land, unlike most zoos which are like, as you say, more prison like...a majority of this park is free roaming animals such as the bison, caribou, elk, deer, raccoons, birds, big horned sheep, mountain goats, etc...they dont allow large predators in on the free roam part, but for obvious reasons since there are regularly people out there on tram rides or workers helping with some of the endangered animals...

even the "cages" are more like dens, its really nice, and looks very natural...
    the large carnivores are in their own fenced in areas, but are not forced in a small area, rather in a very large area they can roam in, and in some cases you may go there and not even see the animal you are looking for because of that reason..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are those wolverine in some of the first pics, funny they look nothing like Hugh Jackman LOL
    VERY NICE , i havent made it to the NC Zoo in a year or two, so this will have to hold me over till i can get the time again! thanks for sharing and the time to load all the pics!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimmy - they are labeled wolverine are they not ;D
    yeah i know...its weird, lol, ill never get why they named him wolverine...but yeah that was one of the female wolverines in the park

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are some really nice pictures, you are just bringing back all the places that I use to go as a kid for class field trips. NWT was a great place outside of town that you could visit and see animals that you could see in your own back yard.
    I grew up in Packwood washington and got to see many of those animals when I would ride my bide on old roads in the woods. I really miss those days when I am driving back home from work in the middle of the city.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast