What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

European silicone not curing is it too hot & humid?

I put together a 20L tank this week and covered the background with some black aquarium silicone and peat and the water divider with black silicone and gravel and it has been 2-3 days and neither has cured. I have done peat/moss backgrounds in all my tanks 10 gallons and up and had no problems with this happening before.

I glued the divider in with silicone on Friday and it cured fine but it was All Glass Aquarium brand silicone. The tubes I used on the background were two 10 oz caulking tubes made by some German company - there was only instructions in German and French and a picture of a fishtank on it. I'd gotten the tubes as "bonus" in a box lot of black aquarium silicone caulking tubes off ebay. Most tubes were AGA brand and I have never had issues with it but I thought I'd use these and seems like I made a mistake. Does anyone have experience with European silicone brands? Does it have a odd way of curing other than just room temp vulcanizing? Is it staying tacky because of the heat/humidity going on this week?

Well, it's been a week now, I don't think this silicone is ever going to cure fully. Anyone have suggestions for getting it off? I can pull up the foam background and scrape off the remainder but there is still gooey silicone here and there and then there's the water/land divider... Should I just chuck the tank? I hate to waste it.

Back