What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

heli, nep, cobra and vft pics

thez_yo

instigator
Just took some pictures outside after feeding the plants some crickets...if the pitchers are wet it's because they get a good spray afterwards to make sure their food went down OK. (Anyone ever force-feed a pervillei a small cricket? It slides right into the pitcher, like with a ceph...)

Newest H.heterodoxa pitcher that just opened last night:
P6220026.jpg

(side)

P6220027.jpg

(inside)

P6220028.jpg

(older hairy-ish nectar spoon from top)

N.Red Leopard put out basals that are making cute, wee pitchers - here's one:
P6220030.jpg

P6220031.jpg

AW#4 hamata pitcher that just opened today:
P6220032.jpg

(sorry you can't see the peristome over the water...I just shoved a cricket in there)

newest cobra leaf (only about 1" tall's worth in this photo):
P6220034.jpg

notice the "double trap" on this regular vft leaf - that double and the two single traps above it are *all* connected to the same leaf!
P6220035.jpg

vft big mouth:
P6220039.jpg

Holy crap, what a crazy VFT trap! WOW!

Lovely pictures!
I figure that's just a weird defect that comes up. Some poor sap spent $100 plus shipping on a Red Dragon one, and you could see in the picture, that it was just one leaf with double traps.

Lovely pictures!
I figure that's just a weird defect that comes up. Some poor sap spent $100 plus shipping on a Red Dragon one, and you could see in the picture, that it was just one leaf with double traps.

Clearly mine should go for $200 then :-)) (btw, it's a Home Depot VFT!)

The double/triple headed flytrap phenom is non-repeatable unfortunately. It is cool when it happens though, but it's like a four-leaf clover: you're lucky to find it, but you can't make em that way.
So whoever bought that two-headed red dragon got hosed and deserves their money back! It probably will never make a double trap again.
I would think that nursery knows that, but I guess not cause I wouldn't expect any kind of scam from them.

Nice pics btw Yo

Yeah...I was contemplating buying some stuff from them, but then after seeing that I concluded that either they're trying to grift people, either that or they don't know what they're doing and in either of those cases I wouldn't want to buy from such a store.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Yeah...I was contemplating buying some stuff from them, but then after seeing that I concluded that either they're trying to grift people, either that or they don't know what they're doing and in either of those cases I wouldn't want to buy from such a store.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Lmao. It would be hilarious if that double trap died during shipping of the plant to the misinformed buyer. Then again, why would anyone buy that? In the photo we can all see that the other traps are normal :-))

That nursery is just hurting their business by keeping that plant at the top of their sales list, with a big "SOLD" sign right next to it.

All the same, I have been wanting to order from there for quite some time now. They do have an interesting selection and spiffy website. Is this the nursery that spoke to the NECPS last summer? Any members that were there could answer?

Great pics and love the vft mutant. Too bad it's such a rarity. And are you heli's under lights? They look great!

I've ordered before from the nursery that sold that $100 double trap. I was surprised to see that for sale also as it screams 'scam!', but I had good experiences with them. So who knows? ??? In any case I bet whoever bought it isn't too pleased haha.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier - Helis are outside under the sun.

That double trap is like way cool!

but also worrying...I'm gonna spray the crap outta everything with neem again tomorrow morning.

Nice stuff Z!!

Back