User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Canada, CITES and Phytosanitary Certs.

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not just agri customs. I once had 4 tires for my jeep held up at the border by customs until I filed out multiple forms and had a security check done. They were being trucked from Canda to the US and because I was having them shipped to my home rather than a service garage they were suspect. Of what, I don't know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Final update. I crossed the US/Canada border yesterday. I declared every plant on my moving manifest, and I sailed through customs with all my plants in tow.

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you made with everything in good order.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Great White north to both you and your intact collection. I spent a few days phoning government agencies up here trying to figure out what the trick was to getting certain types of plant material across the border in whatever way possible and ended up talking to the top CITES guy and he was completely baffled by my requests and basically ended up telling me that I would have nothing to worry about from their agency- I was seeing if a friend could bring a Ceph leaf across and the guy searched for a while and turned up nothing whatsoever about the Genus

Glad you made it through the tangle
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mabudon: Does that mean that one can send cephs up north without any paperwork other than a postage stamp?!

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, not exactly- when taking what the CITES guy said and trying to mix everything I had heard from assorted other agencies, it got clear as mud. I was told that in many cases there are more regional lists- if I have a Ceph growing in my windowsill, the chances of me having poached it, or even the chance that it is a poached specimen are so low that it isn't on the priority list for transactions between the US and Canada- he literally could not find it on the master list that is used by the Canadian agency.

Where it gets sticky is phytosanitary and import papers, and as Hermopolis and others described, it basically comes down to luck and exactly which agencies you decide to deal with, so it's pretty much a case of keep asking around til you get the answer closest to the one you want and deal with them.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I do not want to appear to be spreading incorrect information
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chibae View Post
    It's not just agri customs. I once had 4 tires for my jeep held up at the border by customs until I filed out multiple forms and had a security check done. They were being trucked from Canda to the US and because I was having them shipped to my home rather than a service garage they were suspect. Of what, I don't know.
    People stuff drugs in tires to hide them. Read about a guy in Fort Worth TX who bought a camaro from a police auction and found 32 lbs. of Mary-Jo-Warner (pot) in the spare.
    He was scared to tell them too, didn't think they would believe him if he turned it in.

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Oh, awesome you made it through the red tape herm!
    Good growing, Jack
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead, American Anthropologist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justjack
    Oh, awesome you made it through the red tape herm!
    Thanks guys! I'm glad to be finally in Toronto and starting to get my house back into order. I'm holed up in temporary housing for 3 weeks until I can move into my new apartment. I just checked my plants tonight, and it looks like the only things I lost were the d. regia, d. filiformis "florida red," d. capensis "alba," and d. burmanii. Everything else appears to be in good order even if a little etoliated. It's a bit odd that the sundews faired the worst. The sarrs, neps, utrics, and the lone heli made the trip very well.

I can't wait to settle into my terrarium setup and get back to some trading.

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast