Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Giant Triops & aquatic plants/live food

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input guys! I appreciate experiences you have to share because I often find that far more helpful then generic care sheets which I swear someone just cut and pasted from one site onto their site since they are almost word for word the same sentences every where you look. That's great if they like crushed leaves because I always keep a bag of "Oak leaf Mold" onhand. It's a funny name for sterilized crushed oak leaf. I use it in all my vivarium soil mix to acidify as well as to feed my various cultures of Isopods and Springtails that I set loose in the enclosures.

I wanted to do some Triops but then when I saw the giant species available I thought that I would like to try those even more! They say they do not get to the hugest sizes in captivity (still much bigger than the standard species) but I am interested to see if I can raise them in a way that makes them huge, we'll see. There are far too many neat things on ebay. I am very tempted to order the exotic Killifish eggs of species I never could acquire back when I bred killies in the 1990s but I am quite sure it's probably illegal to import the eggs from Thailand without a permit... anybody know?

Seedjar, I always wanted to do a terrarium plant & animal magazine in print, even got in touch with a Dutch guy who runs a well known vivaria company who also used to publish a low run terrarium magazine. I tried to get interest started here to do an English version of it but only got a couple companies interested to advertise based on the Dutch copies he sent me as promotional material. If he could have afforded to send me some not-for-sale mock ups in English to spread perhaps it would have made a lot more impact with the US advertisers.

At least online publishing is far less expensive compared to publishing periodicals on paper which is a loosing prospect all around unless you have 60%+ advertising at high rates. Most distributors won't even pick up your title for a trial period unless you have at least 40% ads. Online there's none of that kinda crap.
    Last edited by swords; 06-27-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool critters, for sure! I'm sorry I've no advice, but I would have to agree, other's expertise is the best source of information.

Although, those bigguns remind me of these: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yahooed...hoto_969104893

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few baby Bathynomus giganteus (giant Isopods)

It would be fun to have a 3 foot long deep sea Isopod! Put a harness on it and take it for a walk through the park! LOL
    Supposedly a zoo in Texas has them alive in an aquarium to see in person. I would love to see them! I want to know how big the babies are. I like their mirrored shades!

I have this orange form of Isopod (Porcellio scaber) to clean my vivariums. They get about 3/4" in size and breed very well which is good because the vampire crabs think they are good to eat whenever they find them! I also have a NOID Isopod called "White Jungle Micropods" which only get about 1/8" or less fully grown. The tiny Jungle Pods are not so showy and go uneaten because they stay mostly in the soil do not get so big and attract attention to themselves! LOL

Isopods of most kinds are the greatest things to have in a vivarium, eating mold, fungus and animal waste, uneaten food, you can keep them in a tank with or without other animals. Many terrarium animals will eat them, I assume the same as they would in the wild eating what they discover or whatever wanders by. Isopods are fun to watch all by themselves they have very busy agendas! LOL

Speaking of "Just add water for Instant Pets" right now is playing the South Park "Sea People" (sea monkies) episode! Gross!
    Last edited by swords; 06-28-2010 at 12:15 AM.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had some when I was younger, I loved that thing until I lifted it's purple castle and he wouldn't move. He was sleep! Then he did some awesome tricks. Then he went on to a better place.

R.I.P. Shrimpz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swords, you have a site?
    Time to get out some Lepitopteria pics!
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isopods of most kinds are the greatest things to have in a vivarium, eating mold, fungus and animal waste, uneaten food
    they are pretty harmless so long as they have plenty to eat.......however if they run out of other things, they like chewing on plant roots......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had any problems with the pods eating plants but like any animal it is wise to feed them properly or they will make do. I use about 1/3 oak leaf mold when I mix up substrate which gives them plenty of food to start with that's mixed throughout the soil and then toss in a small piece of lettuce or some fish flakes on the surface every week or two until the tank gets growing and there are natural leaf litter being generated. An occasional sprinkling of new leaf litter/oak leaf mold avoids them bothering the live plants, at least from what I've seen.
    Last edited by swords; 06-28-2010 at 11:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I thought of something, would you guys put a sponge filter on a "tank" (tub) that's 36"L x 16"W and filled about 8" Deep? I can get a sponge and air pump and start the tanks cycling if you think it's necessary.

I guess I will be watering my plants with "triops emulsion" instead of fish emulsion!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast