Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giant Triops & aquatic plants/live food

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giant Triops & aquatic plants/live food

Hey folks,

I've got some giant species of the popular "instant pet" Triops coming.

I will be attempting two large species: T. cancriformis (4.5") and T. australiensis green form (4.25")

Triops australiensis
    Not my picture:

I was curious for those of you who have kept regular Triops (or maybe these giants) do they eat live aquarium plants? I know algae, waste and java moss but how about things like glossostigma, anubias and other macro plants?

Also, I like to feed live foods so which live foods does Triops like? Freshwater fairy shrimps, daphnia, etc. Will they eat fruit flies from the water surface?

Since these are ancient crustaceans will they need some calcium and iodine in their water? Most sites I can find only state reverse osmosis or distilled is needed for hatching but how about maintenance since these large species can go for 50-90 days before dying of old age.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read some pages by Triops breeders and it seemed kind of elaborate... From what I remember, there was some water chemistry maintenance required, as well as dry cycles when the population declines since some eggs from each generation won't hatch unless they've been desiccated. (Sometimes more than one such cycle is required, I think.) I think you might be on the right track so far as foods go; I know they'll cannibalize if you don't give them some stimulating prey but as for specifics I'm not sure. The guides I read talked about washed brine shrimp, but that sounds like a pain.
    I'd love to see what you can do with them. I've wanted to try these guys forever but haven't had the chance. Have you ever thought about writing guides for weird terrarium subjects? If you want to start a website you know I'm down to lend a hand...
    Best luck,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm actually working on such a website now for all my critters, DIY projects, etc.
    www.alienflora.com is open for contributions if anyone feels a need to share their expertise on a specific plant or animal.

Based on this video I am going to do the T. australiensis in an underbed style sterlite bin (large but shallow) with perhaps APS or peat as "dirt" and shallow water unless I can find some reddish colored sand that isn't calcium sand.

I am inclined to go with fairy shrimp because they don't need to be washed like the brine shrimps they are entirely freshwater born and bred and grow quickly to 3/4" which should feed the growing Triops. I am getting packets of "Triops food" with the eggs but I will wait to hatch them I think until I get a good fairy shrimp culture going.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! Why am I not surprised? When my life is a little less chaotic I'd be happy to take a crack at some web design, if you'd like. I've been meaning to find some projects for portfolio work anyways. I'll keep you posted.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa that thing looks freaking weird! It looks like a horseshoe crab.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use to find triops in northern arizona in the cattle tanks in both the spring and the fall. You would start to see them after the cattle tanks would fill with water from the snow melt off in the winter and the monsoons in the summer.
    I would see them stiring up the dirt when feeding, there was a lot of cow pucky around the edge of the tanks so I am guessing that they would eat that as well as each other. I would find fairy shrimp and daphina in the ponds with them.
    The bottom of the tanks was a slity clay/sand/dirt mix. The mix was very soft and thick when wet, it would stick to everything that it touched and rock hard once it dried out. I know that this does not really help answer any of your major questions but I hope that it might give you some ideas.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not know that they got that big. The ones I've seen only get about 1 1/2" long.
    I always thought they where neat and thought about getting some since they remind me of my favorite fossils; trilobites.

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

Just saw you can get them on ebay....

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on my experience, triops will nibble on any plant in their tank. I have experimented with fruit flies and daphnia, but the triops didn't chase or eat them. The daphnia even swam right past the triop's mandibles but they were not interested, so I just stick to feeding them with pellets and vegetables (carrots, lettuce, corn). For a substrate I just use washed play sand and they do fine with that. I used distilled water. I've read that they need detritus at birth, so I either use the "teabag" it comes with, or make my own detritus with crushed leaves. As far as I know, they like to eat worms (earthworms, bloodworms). Good luck on raising your new pets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast