What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That's it.. drink the punch my followers!!

My neps have been followed by slugs and earwigs for the past few months. No matter where I moved them, the slugs got to them. They ate holes in the leaves and pitchers, and killed basals from underneath the ground up. Last night I found a small space underneath the window in the grow room where they've been coming in. So I put 3 trays of beer on the ground outside the window to see if I could get lucky and keep them at bay. When I got up this morning, this is what I found. A total count of 26 dead..

100_4574.jpg

100_4573.jpg

100_4572.jpg

Also, has anyone ever seen this? Or does anyone know if this is caused by some sort of spider or a fatal pest?

100_4555.jpg

100_4556.jpg

Looks like the webs tiny spiders make in my pots, just discovered a ficus pot today with the surface totally covered in it with a few small tunnels down.

Looks like the webs tiny spiders make in my pots, just discovered a ficus pot today with the surface totally covered in it with a few small tunnels down.

So it's not caused my anything I should be worried about?

I don't think so, try shaking the pot a bit to see if you see something crawling :p
I got a lot of tiny 1-2mm spiders with dark brown legs/body and bright red abdomen.
If i flood the whole pot they usually get the hell out :p

I just coffee'd almost everyone.. hopefully that did the trick.

Yup I've told people about the beer before too, never posted pics though, works good doesn't it!? If you can find a copper coin or tiny piece of leftover copper piping put it in the beer it'll make it even more lethal to the inverts. :D

That fungus looks to me like the kind which shows up when the humidity is too high and there is not enough ventilation or at least air movement. Try adding a small fan to the grow area if you want to keep the grow area sealed and at the current humidity, otherwise just opening a larger ventilation area should do the trick as well. Fungus gnats also make similar webs in the soil but I think for now, these are simply too high humidity fungal webs. They grow overnight and go away just as quickly when conditions are corrected. Time will tell what kind of webs these are. If you start to see fruit fly looking things coming out of the soil then you've got the fungus gnats. Repotting is best in that case IMHO.

The beer trick works. Many a time have I woken up with my face in a tray of beer in some strange garden.

The beer trick works. Many a time have I woken up with my face in a tray of beer in some strange garden.

Lol I knew Morels weren't the only kind of mushrooms Mass gives to people

Back