User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drastic Measures - should have done this long ago...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but with raising certain "fish/aquatics" I have heard that sort of thing can be a problem
    Yes, no using this water for crabs, shrimps or other inverts if it's dripping off copper piping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea. Hey, if it works may as well!

Our humidity is so low here I'd get maybe a couple ounces a day. I just checked the condenser line and it's putting out about 1 drop per minute.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, my last "thinking outside the box" ideas are 1. that if you simply move the kitty litter jug near the sewer/sump hole, any overflow should just drain off into the hole, if they sloped the concrete properly... and 2. if you only have small jugs (did I just say what I think I said? ) then to extend your period of having to check and empty jugs...
    Take one jug, when full, and (assuming you have access to more tubing...cheap or free...!) pour 1/4-1/3 of the jug into 2 or 3 other jugs...and run a siphon tube from one jug to another (or from one to many others). This will give you 3 or 4 jugs (or more) "hooked up together with a siphon", and then simply run your "filler" tube into one jug. As it fills, it will fill the others also.
    The only problem will be cutting the tubing to proper lengths, creating a siphon to each one (the biggest problem) and making sure the siphon lines stay in place (another biggie).

I would assume all this work wouldn't be worth it, nor the tubing costs... although if you have extra tubing on hand, extra 2-1/2 gal jugs, and a lot of time, it could be a project to try.
    Perhaps just buying a few 5 gal buckets would be worth the cost! (I do something similar with my rain barrels.)

We have gone from one 55 gal drum, to two, and from two to three, for this very reason...drought!
    In addition, I also store about 8- five gal. covered buckets and a few 2-1/2 gal litter jugs. This is a lot to store when not needed, but during long droughts, I used to run out. Knock on wood, so far so good, but if I could convince my wife and had the time, I would have a dozen rain barrels around! Barrels, cisterns.... the old ways really were the best!
    While a bit of a hassle at times, it gives me good exercise and doesn't cost anything in water, filters or membranes. (And again, if I didn't worry about the wife or neighbors, I would build a nicer and easier way of "handling" the water.

Well, good luck. And with no objections from anyone who has more experience with it, collecting water from the coils seems to be a good idea. I would try it myself, and have no real concerns about trying and seeing what happens.
    (I do recall a previous thread however, where coil collecting was "thumbs down" because of the metal leaching into the water and poisoning the plants. Perhaps there is more info to be found about it there.)
    Here is one I found:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ils+condensing

Who's to say unless you try, really!
    Again, good luck.
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very neat, a few summers back I attempted to use the condensation from our de-humidifier. I did some quick research and found that the biggest threats were mold spores and copper from the condensation coil. I was much more worried about the later (you can imagine why). Back then my collection was smaller and easily replaceable so I mixed gallons of RO and collected water 1-1 and water the outside collection. Due to the mold spores present in the water I decided against using that water for my indoor collection.

Very cool experiment though, let us know how it works out long term!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silenceisgod View Post
    I'm doing this also for a newly installed air conditioner, but the water tastes a little off right now. I hope it'll be fine after it's been running for a while, but I'm not going to use it for a few days.
    Yeah.... I've noticed this as well. We have little pvc AC spouts from each of the apartments and I could fill up gallon jugs galore. I just don't trust that water.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm only going to use the collected water from the condenser to water my outside plants. I'm not thrilled with using it, but have no other choice with the amount of water I'm needing in this heat wave. I think what I will do is use 1 1/2 gallons from the condenser and 1 gallon RO water.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thought....

Any natural sources of accumulated rain water? Like unpolluted lakes, rivers, creeks around? I guess unpolluted is the key, however all these plants are growing in natural locations anyway, so it isn't like we need some sort of pristine, sterile source.
    Running some lake water thru a simple filter could do the trick, if you know the mineral content (check with a meter) and if it doesn't appear that the surroundings are filled with rusty, old 55 gal drums that are leaking some foul smelling yellow-green acid or something of the like's.

Well, just a thought.
    If the ducks are drinking it, and fish are swimming in it... and minerals are low...then it might be safe... (Key word: might!)

Good luck!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Supposed to be getting isolated thunder storms today 30% chance, tomorrow 60% chance. Maybe I'll get some water from the storms if they happen, but like most times I'll be away and not collect any.

GrowinOld,
    You have a good idea about stream / lake water. Next weekend is the Pine Barrens trip... may have to come home with a few gallons of water.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast