What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I kill her?

So my "Little Princess" Mallory (cat) that has never before touched my plants, decided to eat the two new leaves off of my FAVORITE plant (N. albomarginata 'Kuching Spotted') and the newest, biggest leaf off of my N. albomarginata 'Spotted'. Do I kill her, or just let it slide since technically it's my fault for not putting the front back on the grow box during this hot weather?

I guess technically can't blame your cat, since cats are known to eat foliage from time to time... i know my sisters Bengal used to always be eating leaves off of plants...

yeah, but this is the first time she's ever payed them any attention. Normally she doesn't go anywhere near them! Just out of the blue she decided today was the day to piss me off. And I'm not having a good day to begin with.

Ive had cats that grew up around plants and never chewed on a single leaf and just used the plants to hide in to pounce on us by surprise. Then, I had a cat come live with me that hadn't grown up around a jungle of plants in the house and it chewed apart all of my nepenthes (actually last fall - pasian h/l truncata is just recovering *now* from it but everything else looks better). Eaten pitchers and clawed-at leaves and dug up soil and even tempted fate by nibbling on the poisonous plants. After being enough of a devil, it decided to jump through a screen door, and I took that as my sign to give up and give it away to a shelter ASAP. Because I just don't have the time to watch a pet 24/7 to make sure it isn't doing something bad if it hasn't had training since early kittenhood how to act around counters, plants, doors etc.

cat is actually pretty tasty.......real mild sorta like pork........if yah do kill her, make some stirfry :D

That's when you make a liquid spray from the hottest pepper you can find and spray it on the leaves. Just make sure YOU don't get burned!

It won't harm the cat at all, but would deter her from *ever* tasting another Nep again.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

cat is actually pretty tasty.......real mild sorta like pork........if yah do kill her, make some stirfry :D

:censor: :cuss: :nono: :rant: :angry: :spidersmile:

We once had someone actually offer to buy one of our cats. For a snack!

I think you should let it slide. If she does it again though, cut one of her paws off.

hahaha atleast its only leaves...
a little over a year ago, my now deceased cat (we had to put her down for a totally unrelated reason, she was 21 and just couldnt live normally, deaf, incompetent, and could not jump) ate my first N. jacquelineae, literally.

:O Dude, look at it this way. You actually made a post about killing your cat...for tampering with some of your plants. Is it worth it, man? Or this this some kind of comical sarcasm?

im pretty sure he is just kidding Burnt, Travis wouldnt kill his kittens...he might yell at them and not touch them for a few days, but i highly doubt hed kill them.

Is that why everyone's taking it so jokingly?

he loves his cats, i can take it as a joke, ive joked about punting my chihuahua because shes annoying, but id never do it.
its really frustrating to have someone or something damage something youve worked so hard on getting to its current state, and trust me, when its something as expensive as my jacquelineae was at the time when my cat ate it, you would have wanted to kill her too, but again keep in mind i didnt, i just scowled at her for a few days and refused to pet her or let her in my room lol.

Travis i completely understand your anger, but you might want to throw in that you were joking....
you are joking right? lol

I would go with the pepper deterrent. Cats do chew on leaves. That's just instinct. Do as Katie suggested.

i too almost want to kill my dog in my house already, so far it had kill my d.padaroxa, d.spatulata, two n.gracilis that plant with bird fern nest for 3years(it final look was just left a bud with 1/4 media was pulled out, all pitcher had wilt because of being pulled by it) two mature begonia, lavendula dentata, and a lot of herbs in my house, n.ampuralla spotted and always bitting every shoes on floor and cloth that hanging, if it less loose...

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

:censor: :cuss: :nono: :rant: :angry: :spidersmile:

We once had someone actually offer to buy one of our cats. For a snack!

there is room on earth for all gods creatures........right next to the mashed potatoes :D

Maybe you could give it something else to chew on.
My cats love anything grasslike, especially bamboo and the stuff that always pops up from live spag.

I know how you feel; my dachshund puppy ate a really nice N bicalcarata pitcher this weekend just after it opened. I didn't even get any pictures of the pitcher before it became puppy chow. I really wanted to punt him, but he is a puppy and I should have kept him away from the plants... I still wanted to punt him though.....

Yeah pets are a pain sometimes, travis you can try and buy some of the catgrass pots from petco and lay those around, she should go for those instead of your plants, yeah when my cat ate my jacquelineae, it was because i left it at the base of my rack after watering when i was growing my neps indoors, then to add insult to injury, she vomited it back up a couple hours later.....

im pretty sure he is just kidding Burnt, Travis wouldnt kill his kittens...he might yell at them and not touch them for a few days, but i highly doubt hed kill them.

Your right on SK. Everyone knows how much I love my cats. They get a little spot light of their own in just about everyone of my picture threads. I started this thread more out of frustration than anything. I really think she did it to rebel or act out for us bringing the new kitten into the house. She never touched the plants before this. She's just used them as a hide to attack me when we were playing. But man, did my stomach sink when I came home to find my 'Kuching Spotted' laying upside down on the ground.

Back