What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Distilled water from dehumidifier?

Does anyone know if water collected in a dehumidifier is distilled and is it safe for use on carnivorous plants?
Thanks

It's not distilled (distilled = obtained through the process of distillation) but should be fine to use on your CP's, much the same as water collected from your refrigerated air conditioner or freezer.

I don't know about you guys. But the water collected from my Air conditioner nearly destory my whole mini bog.

To green1: You might do a test with that water first, but its humidity moisture that you collect with the dehumidifier, the water should be safe to use, as long as it doesn't have weird smells. who knows what kind of process the water has been through in the dehumidfier.

I've been using dehumidifier water for years. Dehumidifiers are basically air conditioners optimized for condensing water rather than cooling air. I wouldn't drink the water and try to minimize splashing when I pour it into the tub and jugs I store it in. The water is probably too cool for Legionella, but it seems that some kind of nasty thing would thrive in the humidifier environment. I'd be careful about using it for aquatic animals, given the possibility of Cu or other metal contamination. But I doubt there's much of that after the first few weeks of use.

Edit: Indigo; what kind of AC was it? If it was an evaporative cooler, the water draining from it would be even more concentrated than your tap water.

Edit: Indigo; what kind of AC was it? If it was an evaporative cooler, the water draining from it would be even more concentrated than your tap water.

The water I once used and nearly destory my whole minibog came from a central air conditioning. I don;t have much knowledge about air conditioner. ??? The water kinda smell like rotting apple

Same here, used air conditioner condensation for years will no ill effect.

Thanks for your help.
Didn't realise that this subject had already been discussed in earlier threads,I should've looked harder.
In an earlier thread someone said not to use it because theirs also took in the oils from burning oils so it's probably best to avoid to be on the safe side.

Back