Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever had spinal surgery?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chibae, vie been on antidepressants since the 8th grade so it's just a chemical imbalance. As long as I take them I'm fine, if i go off I'm not fine. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't bummed out about all of this but I wouldn't call that depression. At least not yet anyway. But anyway I don't want to add another AD that's used for pain in case it'll mess with my AD I take for depression... I'm happy and want to stay that way lol

I will ask about other things I can take to potentiate the opiates before increasing them though.
    Last edited by Clint; 08-03-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's too bad that you have to deal with this so young, but you're definitely doing the right thing by following up with the experts. I don't check in here as much anymore, but are you still in school and thinking about the medical field? If so, this is some of the best education you'll get.

By the way, don't blame the mom for you not getting the MRI as soon as you might have. If everyone went for a test every time they thought something might be wrong (some do), our world would look like the area my parents retired to. There don't seem to be any playgrounds or schools, but there's an imaging clinic or medical lab on every corner. I'd rather live in a H*ll filled with fire and brimstone than one filled with medical appointments.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clint, I am sorry you are going through this. As a vetern of two spinal surgeries if you want to vent feel free to PM me. Hang in and be your own advocate.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not blaming her... I just wish I could because that would be easy.

I decided to go into botany over the medical field... I just wanted to be a Dr. For money over happiness and that's the wrong reason.

Im really just mostly still in shock. I'm 20. Things like this aren't supposed to happen to me for another two decades!

Chibae, I definitely will pm you if I have any questions. You've already been really helpful with your info!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mom has been through a few back surgeries herself...one being immediately after i was born....she was in a car accident when she was pregnant with me and it broke her back, i was lucky to survive that one...

the most recent being a herniated disc....L5 i believe it was?
    they removed the herniation, and here now almost a year later, the muscle did not heal properly, in fact the muscle separated over that part of the spine and made a hole under the skin.....

i think shes had 3 total? but she was 30 for her first, and now had a couple throughout her 40s....

hope all goes well for you Clint....your young, you should heal just fine if you have surgery.

And about the anti-depressants, your lucky you found one that works, ive been through several, and every one of them made me far worse....so i decided it was just best to stay off of them...

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SOrry to hear that you are in such pain CLint. Its true as someone else said, you are still very young and its unfortunate that you have to face such an issue in this part of your life. As it is apparent with most of your messages, stick to it man! Get it worked on and try whatever you can to make it better. We hope to hear some good news from you in the coming months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post

Im really just mostly still in shock. I'm 20. Things like this aren't supposed to happen to me for another two decades!

tell me about it.....though my knees were screwed from birth they didnt start to cause real "quality of life" issues till i was about 21 or so.....now im 28 and trying to beg borrow and steal to post pone knee replacement surgery for aslong as possible and have a back that looks like im closer to 50 than 30.....

it really sucks but nothing yah can do but let it destroy you or suck it up and deal......ive slingshot from one end of the spectrum to the other mental wise and know the crap your going through....just do what yah need to do to get through it......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw the neurosurgeon at Emory today (I was SOOO lucky that he decided to review my files and see me... he was booked up for a year. )

I have to get one more test called a CT myelogram. Basically they are going to shoot me up with some fluorescent dye in my spinal column and take a cat scan. I'm sorry, but that's just cool lol. I get that next thursday. I'm getting that to determine whether it's my herniated disc in my lumbar (lower) or thoracic (middle) of my spine. The neurologist said something along the lines of like... I'm walking in a way that indicated the main problem is in one area, but my symptoms indicate that the problem is in another area, so before he does surgery he has to make sure it's what he thinks it is.

I will get a laminectopy on one of my vertebrae for sure. Then I may get better and just put up with the pain of the other herniated disc and cope with medicine, OR if my nerves still aren't working right then I'll have to get another more invasive surgery on the vertebrae in my thoracic region of my spine. If I have to get that second surgery, he'll have to go in through my chest instead of my back. He also told me that the estimation of time I had before risk increases was grossly overestimated by the orthopedic surgeon. I don't have such a short timeframe as one month and things like this aren't cut in stone.

He's also performed almost 3 times the number of laminectomies that the other doctor has. I really like this guy!

The good news is that the risk of paralysis after the surgery is less than 1% for the lumbar laminectopy, and 4-6% for the other surgery that I may or may not need. I can't get both surgeries at the same time, unfortunately. I'm not worried about paralysis, but I still prefer to think of it as 96% chance I won't be paralyzed rather than 4% I will ;P

He also said I could take up to 6 percocet a day (8 if I have to but he didn't reccomend it, and I don't think I need more than 5 or maybe six if I'm really hurting) so I don't feel so bad about taking an extra here or there.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast