Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever had spinal surgery?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a herniated disk, itself, is not that painful after the initial trauma wears off.....a herniated disk that compresses a nerve hurts but its because of the nerve getting pinched which can also be done by a bulge or a bone spur that hurts like hell....

and a major worry bout percs aint so much the opiate its also the fact the contain alot of Tylenol.....an over dose of Tylenol can fry your liver in one shot......take to much one day and it kills the liver no matter that you havent taken any for a month before.....so also be careful and read the labels of all allergy and cold type meds aswell....ive got my own lil stash of medications separate from the rest of my families because i really cant take much of any more tylenol...
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clint, even though having the thoracic surgery through the chest sounds scary, it actually allows them to do work on your spine without having to cut through the bone at the back of the vertebrae. the surgery on my neck was done through the front and the healing was much less painful than the one they just did through my back.
    Kepps us informed about the mylogram
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im only 16 and i had surgery on a fractured L3 and L5. recovery is terrible. took me two weeks just to move.

i hope that all works out with your operation and you have a safe recovery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your condition. I admit that I don't know anything about it, but studies show that most back surgeries are unnecessary. Surgeons who work on the back have a conflict of interest because they are well compensated by insurance companies for their services, so the tendency is for them to recommend surgery when it is unnecessary. They are most likely sincere people, but the money issue gets in the way of objective analysis. Do a lot of research on your own about your condition before making a decision about getting surgery because it is in most cases irreversible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually, not quite.....

most ppl that really dont need back surgery push for it cause they want a quick fix then are disappointed when it doesnt happen and find out the only way to fix the problem is do the crap the doctor suggested the first time they came into see them.....the couple different guys i saw when i first screwed up my back flat told me i prolly would not be happy with surgery given the current state of my back and to try a laundry list of other things first, i didnt even hit the cortisone shot attempt for 10 months....and guess what, it worked till something shifted again and now it appears with a different round of treatment i may avoid surgery for awhile more....

if your back really aint all that bad you prolly wont be happy with surgery cause if you see a 40% improvement it dont mean much where the guy with a truly bad back would do damn near anything for that 40% relief.....the worse off you are the more likely surgery is going to be a relief....if your not hurt that bad and want a short cut through the pain im gonna tell yah now surgery aint gonna do it....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Judy,
    How did you do with the surgery?
    I am looking at possibly work on my C5 and others,
    although there are complications, it is a potential solution.

I heard recovery, rehab is extensive, and results vary.
    (My stenosis in my neck is pinching off my spinal cord and
    they want to hack off the vertebrae to open the "canal".
    As I said however, there are other complications, but I am wondering
    what others have experienced.)
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My cervical surgery went fairly well. I still have some residual cervical spondolitic myolapthy due to the bony overgrowths that had been cut away. The lesions have not spread since the surgery but I do have some left over balance issues and am on baclophen four times a day and cymbalta at night for nerve pain. But, in the three years since it was done (May 1, 2007) I have returned to all activity exceptn horseback riding and bike riding, stationary bike is okay. The neck has c-3 hrough c4 fused with two cadvor bones in place of discs, a titiamium plate and six screws spanning the vertebrae. I was back to work and enjoying life again within four months of the surgery,
    I defintily noticed a hugh difference for the better in terms of arm pain, hand shaking, dropping things, They entered in through the front and the scar is barely noticible and even my yoga instructor last year could not tell that I had a fusiion.

The jury is still out on my lower back surgery, it was just two weeks ago today and much more extensive. But I can say that I've noticed a 50% improvment already in the sypmtoms that drove me to having the surgery done. But in this case they went in through the back, cut away veretbrae and replaced things with a cage, two rods and tweleve screws, saw the xrays yesterday.

BTW, prioir to both surgeries i went through a year of physical therpay, meds and nerve blocks to try and get some control without surgery.

Everyone is different. My father suffered and refused surgery and I watched him become more and more crippled. I was diagnosied with the same issues at 17 and had my first joint surgery at 24. My daughter had her first joint surgery at 17. ironically for both of us it was the left knee.

As a final note a co-workers husband put off having his neck done until the surgery was emergency and it took him almost a year of rehab to return to near normal. Waiting can hurt.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    actually, not quite.....
    Is that opinion based on published research or just personal experience and anecdotal information? But I agree with most of what you say later.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast