What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to import into the usa from australia

i was wondering what permits i need in order to import. I think there may be only two that i have to get. Thanks.

Last I heard, you couldn't.
Apparently there's a nasty fungal thing going around there and anything from Australia that makes it here just gets destroyed.
It could've been settled though and I just don't know.
Good luck.

Last I heard, you couldn't.
Apparently there's a nasty fungal thing going around there and anything from Australia that makes it here just gets destroyed.
It could've been settled though and I just don't know.
Good luck.

Is that why those EP imports didn't make it in? o.o

I suppose so.
It seems permits are voided- apparently the outbreak there is terrible and the USDA just absolutely doesn't want to risk it.
Stuff from Australia would be posted on the US eBay site, and there'd be a big disclaimer stating that.
And I'm like "T_________T THEN WHY TEASE ME?!"

Australia and USA don't really mix when it comes to importing any plants or even plant matter. When I lived in Australia my mom tried to send me a box of my favorite tea that they didn't have. I got a letter in the mail from Australian customs saying my tea was destroyed in an incinerator because the tea contained orange peel.

After the cane toad incident I don't think they want any invasive species in their country, lol.

It's illegal to import plants from outside the US. You can, however, import "small lots of seeds" through the USDA ePermit. Below is mine:

An ePermits application of the type shown has been submitted on the date and time shown.

Permit application type: PPQ 587 Permit to Import Plants and Plant Products
Application number: P587-060725-001
Applicant: Scott Straus
Date/Time submitted: 07/25/06 12:08:17 PM

You may check the status of this application online at https://epermits.aphis.usda.gov/epermits.

jimscott so what your saying is if i wanted to import plants from ep and borneo exotics it's illegal. And thanks for the seed info i'll have to get that.

This is my understanding from past discussion and reading the USDA website:

As long as they are not restricted items you should be able to get a plant import permit PPQ 587. If they plants are protected (CITES) then you also need permit PPQ 621 ($70). The exporter will have to supply phytosanitary certifications and (if relevant) CITES paperwork. The plants must be shipped through specific ports of entries for inspection and you must make arrangements to either pick them up or have them forwarded. You may not need any of this if the seller has an authorized importer in the US. Plants that do not pass inspection or without phytosanitary certification will be either destroyed, quarantined and treated. You may be charged for treatment. Most likely they will be destroyed. Penalties for importing plants without permits is up to $10,000. There are exceptions to phytosanitary and CITES requirements (such as Tissue Culture propagated plants sent sealed in the flask).

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/permits/plantproducts.shtml

I would advise calling and speaking to someone if you have questions. Contact numbers are found on the USDA site.

Pyro could probably tell you more since he has imported plants in the past.

What NAN said!

What do you want to buy? Perhaps your fellow hobbyist in America have what you want.

i'm looking for mostly the ep stuff cause they have a bunch of cool stuff but i wanted to see how difficult it would be to get them in but i'm not so sure now, i've heard the us's system is very confusing so well see. Thanks for all of the imput.

What is "ep stuff"?

Hybrids from exotica plants

You should be able to find lots of EP plants in the US if you look around.
They are kid of expensive because of import costs.
They were much cheaper a few years ago.
Peace,
Zero

could i import seeds of jamban and naga without a ppq 621 permit.

Good luck with finding N. jamban seeds .... :crazy:

I think he's referencing the "very rare nep seeds" post from pitcherplants a couple days ago..which is a different problem entirely :-))

Back