Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photography-pics-choosing a camera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photography-pics-choosing a camera

Hey everyone,

well i would really like to purchase a SLR camera but I would like some input on what you all use.

Here were the brands i was looking into

canon- I know its a good brand i personally have an old version powershot g3
    nikon- i heard it has takes really great macros and has tons of great lenses
    fujifilm finepix s series- an inexpensive camera with professional picture quality
    olympus- overall good camera but i don't know much about this brand

I would be using this camera for general photography, and i would like it to have a good macro function for my cps too.

Please share your pictures, showing what your camera can do, both macro-zoom out. I would love to see them.

Thank you very much for your help

dustin

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Answers in red

Quote Originally Posted by dustin View Post
    Hey everyone,

well i would really like to purchase a SLR camera but I would like some input on what you all use.

Here were the brands i was looking into

canon- I know its a good brand i personally have an old version powershot g3
    As an SLR, it's only as good as it's lenses. For a compact camera I use the Canon G9, examples ,
    nikon- i heard it has takes really great macros and has tons of great lenses
    As an SLR it's only as good as it's lenses
    fujifilm finepix s series- an inexpensive camera with professional picture quality
    haven't heard very good things personally
    olympus- overall good camera but i don't know much about this brand
    As an SLR I use it a lot and find it to be light weight and convient.

I would be using this camera for general photography, and i would like it to have a good macro function for my cps too.
    Any SLR can have a macro lens put on it, "macro function" is a product of a compact camera/non-SLR style
    It sounds like a good course on camera differences might be in order. Visit this website for some great tutorials and forumsI've also used an older canon compact and a Pentax DSLR.

Please share your pictures, showing what your camera can do, both macro-zoom out. I would love to see them. check this gallery out

Thank you very much for your help

dustin
    your welcome
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as he said, lenses make the difference......personally i would go with either Canon or Nikon but ive got a buddy that is one of the best photographers ive seen and he uses Olympus.....i use Canon SLR's.....its the lens and the nut behind the viewfinder that makes all the difference in the world......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Fujifilm S1800, which has a macro and even supermacro function. It definitely gets the job done since I do more multipurpose with it than anything.
    Here's some pics I've taken with it:

animal lover, aquarium and CP enthusiast MidnightSkies's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have pictures to share since my SLR is still only film, but I definitely vote Cannon. Everyone else is true that the lenses and photographer make a huge difference though. I'm a fan of both Cannon's cameras and lenses. Cannon is a little pricier, but worth it in my honest opinion. If I'm going to spend that much money on a camera, it's going to be a good one. I do have Canon's EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens and I love it, although with film, I don't use it as much as I wish I did.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YOu cannot go wrong with Canon or Nikon. They are pretty head to head and based on what you spend, you can get a great product. Also, don't expect to be able to obtain pro quality low light/low noise images using a beginner SLR. THere is a reason why pro SLR's cost 1000s of dollars. Same goes for lenses: Some lenses seem to be very cheap, but at the end of the day, the picture quality may not be sharp at the biggest apertures. You have to do a lot of research to buy a camera which is the best value for your money.

Let me also pop in about only ONE difference between Nikon and Canon: Their equivalent ranges in camera for photography is almost similar: eg: Nikon D5000 is comparable to Canon Rebel T1i or T2i. ALthough, ask yourself this: Do u like shooting video with your DSLR and will it be something important for you...perhaps almost as much as taking pictures? Canon should be your choice. Canon is hands down the best one for video so far. Ofcourse, video quality on the Nikon isn't terrible, but seems unpolished compared to Canon. And yeah....at something like the D3x which costs you an arm/leg at 8000$ you will definitely get fantastic videos, but clearly thats a different camera class.

Make your choice between Canon and Nikon very carefully. It is a choice you will perhaps stick with forever. I have made mine and I am a nikonian.

I'll post some of my pics soon. Trying to clean em up a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually if your glass is good you can get pro quality pictures with a cheaper SLR body.....but keep in mind alot of pro quality pictures come form filters and lighting, whether knowing how to set up your camera for ambiant light or how to add additional lighting.....

as far as Canon glass i like thier higher end stuff but their entry level is pretty blah.....for entry level lenses Sigma will usually beat Canon or Nikon....the newspaper doesnt have the budget for L Series glass so we run Sigma lenses....not as good as L series but normally beats out Canon at the same lower price points....

i would much prefer getting a factory referb year or two old Rebel and putting more money to glass than buy a new 1D and have to run cheap glass.....your pictures will show im right.....

same concept works for any brand....keep in mind basically what the entry level Rebels are are pretty close to what the pros were using 8 years or so ago.....you happy with the pro type photos from 10 years ago? especially for macro work where lens and light are THE factors?
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very true.. the images are only as good as the glass permits. Difference in bodies determine amount of control that you have and the options available to shoot images. For instance, low light photography on a Nikon D5000 will never ever be as good as that shot on a D700 or its bigger brother, the D3. These beginner level SLRs can shoot in good image quality upto an ISO of 800. But depending on the lens, you might need a higher sensitivity to shoot at a lower shutter speed/smaller aperture for greater DOF.

Here are some sample images from my photoshoots. Now bear in mind that I am no where close to some of the experts here. I usually take over 100 pics to end up with 3-10 images of my liking. I am still a newbie in looking at conditions and understanding the variables I need to play with. I mostly shoot either in aperture priority/shutter priority or full manual.

I use a Nikon D90 and currently own two lenses: Kit: Nikkor 18-105mm VR | Nikkor AF 60mm micro . The kit lens costs around 200$ or less...and the macro lens costs 500$. Its an old school lens that is being phased out which is a solid metal lens with perfect sharpness. You cannot go wrong with it. I love it..and I still have to learn to make full use of it. It does have its limitations: No vibration reduction, so even the slightest camera shake is visible.

Infact, let me pop in some pics which are blurry that if I had gotten right, would definitely fit right in with those from a National Geographic magazine. Photography is all about details and patience (Wildlife). I did not think with a cool head and should have increased ISO and increased shutter speed...but I was soo freaked out to find this pair of beetles that I lost my mind. Either way...here is a failed photoshoot of some insects. Well.... I guess I need to practice a lot more eh?

SOmething more to keep the theme to plants.

Last edited by vraev; 08-05-2010 at 08:48 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast