What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hats Off To Mark Todd "OZZY"

Hot off of facebook, Mark Todd stated hours ago that he just finished replanting over a thousand VFT's and assorted Pitcher Plants and that it was "no fun". If I could I'd buy him dinner, drinks, massage, whatever, and a date with the most passionate babe on the planet I would do so immediately.
Nothing is too good for this kind of man who walks the walk like this. But, I can't - so here is this much.
Someday, in another millennium (hopefully) the literal fruits of his labor may make it possible for your great grandchildren to walk amongst these incredible plants, in their habitat. This sort of act deserves a 6 gun Marine Salute! Oh, it might be that all this work is in vain, and eventually greed will claim that sacred land, but it can't mar this days greatness or belittle this demonstration of nobility of spirit. Because one man did the right thing, a good thing, we are all improved in spirit. Could there be a better work, or a better man?

AMEN! He does and has done so much for CPs.

I salute you!:usa2:

My hat off to you as well good sir. After reading your status on facebook I realized how much this hobby rides on the hands of a select few individuals, and your actions Ozzy have created some ripples that will surely be felt by many in the coming years! Thanks for your effort, time and passion!

Thank you Ozzy!
BTW, is the BSL fire still burning?

I'll bet there was some Black Sabbath playing in the background!

aint gonna take my hat off to him......he might interpret that as a sign i respect him or something :D

80 views and 3 replies on a forum dedicated to those who love these plants is a sad testament. Thanks (a short, six letter word) to those who took time out of their busy lives to bother. I suppose if he offered those plants for free on the trade forum the other 77 would be all over him, and a thousand more! Well, so it goes. My friend Mark does indeed have broad shoulders, and some others very small hearts!

I heard there is/was a Tamlin Award for generosity. If there is, I nominate Mark Todd!

Gotta Remember bud that we get waaaay more visitors to this forum than registered users. Don't count the members out yet ;)

Thanks Mark for what you continue to do!!
Andrew

@Tamlin; maybe the reason there are so few replies is bec ppl don't get what the big deal is about?
For me, i'm kinda new here, i dont know Ozzy, and i don't get why potting up a thousand VFTs is such a big deal.
I'm sure its a lot, more then ill prolly pot up combined in all my life, but is he doing it bec he has a business or something?
If that's the case, to me it does not sound like anything special, im sure anyone who has had a job has spend a lot of time earning a living.

Edit: i think i would "care" a lot more if i knew what it was all about or had some pics to look at :D

Thanks Ozzy we appreciate your work!

Taliesin-DS, I believe he potted some in the wild/natural habitats, to reestablish the population in areas where they are almost gone, but I'm not 100% sure.

In that case he deserves a medal and a memorial plaque at the entrance of the bog :D

A very noble act indeed!

Awesome, thanks Ozzie!

outplantings anywhere are hard. We did native trees into the dry side of Maui and it was painful. Can't imagine a place with chiggers, ticks, snakes, andddd hard back bending work to do.

/bow

Thanks a lot for all the kind words, and thanks Tamlin for spreading the word that we need to save these plants.

For the people that want more info on what happened. About a month ago I saw some construction work. They were putting in water lines. The road that I first saw were loaded with vft's and sundews. They were already gone. So I stopped and asked questions. Found out who the contractor was, contacted them. They got permission from the town to let me collect and they gave me a set of plans. I spent a weekend driving all the roads looking for cp's. Found very little. Saved a few sundews and some utrics. Then last Monday, I decided to go look at one of the remaining roads. I had put this particular road as low priority because I didn't expect to find anything. I first found D.internmedia, than the vft's. I spent the rest of the daylight digging up the vfts. The next day I returned and found, around 20 S.rubras. So I collected those and the rest of the vfts.

On Wednesday I replanted them in my yard. My hopes is to return them when the construction is over. That may or may not be possible.

Just remember it don't take much to get involved. Always keep your eyes open and ask questions.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Wow great for you! If not, possibly plant them somewhere else maybe?

I still need to see BSL, maybe next year.

Yes you do, Maybe you can come and help replant them.

Yes you do, Maybe you can come and help replant them.
Well I'll have to see what my parents want to do... this year was a no for them, so hopefully next year.

Back