Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Writing my Thesis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    Also keep in mind that in order to do this experiment properly, you might have to run it for atleast a few months to an year. I would suggest to have some backup plants as well...I mean these ones are non carnivorous. There are quite a few variables with CPs to control, so perhaps a backup with regular tomato plants or somehting might be a nice fallback strategy if things don't go as planned.
    Good point, I really like this idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    another issue would be contamination by insect transfer.... an insect can very easily carry spores and cross contaminate your groups

you will have to have some way of verifying the integrity of the groups, both for trichoderma growth and no trichoderma growth.
    Another good point Butch. Maybe cotton balls in the pitchers as the pitchers open up?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    flying, soil loving insects would be a greater concern IMHO..... e.g., fungus gnats

they have already been linked to the spread of Cephalotus sudden death syndrome for the same reason

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    flying, soil loving insects would be a greater concern IMHO..... e.g., fungus gnats

they have already been linked to the spread of Cephalotus sudden death syndrome for the same reason
    OMG really? I thought ceph sudden death was from not giving the roots air though?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some general tips centered on the research for the literature review. Some of them should be pretty obvious though.

-Gather as many sources as possible as soon as possible.
    -Use the university's electronic academic source search engines.
    -Get training from a librarian on how to use the above if you're not sure or are rusty on the use.
    -Use the interlibrary loans.
    -Once you have a slew of sources use a priority-assigning system to organize your sources.

This is based on my experiences with my senior thesis for my major before I completed my undergraduate work. At times, it seemed that I would arrive on the edge of the internet looking for sources using those academic search engines. It gets frustrating if you don't know how to use them efficiently.

Good luck!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is VERY interesting...could explain why my cephalotus is in a rut right now...dont know what went wrong...
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is a common issues doing biological control of weeds research with pathogens (fungi) in the field. Cant stop the fungi from spreading to the adjacent controls unless the controls are off site but then is it really a control. Could you compartmentalize them different treatments? Different sections of the greenhouse? But same greenhouse, same lights,etc.

getting a bunch of similar purps will be more of an issues. not aware of any TC ones for sale as liners..... They do have rubra and some hybrids..........

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE: Plant access...
    If no liners or large quantities are readily available...
    As you mentioned going to Lowes or elsewhere, perhaps talk to the store manager and ask if he can order you a case, at a discount.
    Many store managers will do a special order if they know they are going to get paid for the whole thing. Many store managers will not however!

As for another course of action, gathering a mass of Sarr. Seed and beginning Tricoderma treatment at that point could show results also, even if growth is limited to one year. (I relate this to your already established experiments with Sarr. Seed germination and growth.) The variation of seed types could be inconsequential compared to the overall growth rate found comparing treated from non-treated.
    The seedlings size can also help in separating 2 or more batches of "samples",(with their own "terrarium/grow chamber") with less worry about "cross contamination" via bugs captured. Both growing indoors and the small size of the seedlings, makes unwanted bug capture less likely.

I can attest that in general with most plants, I have had better plant growth this past year or so than in previous years, but I cannot confirm that it is directly as a result of utilizing Tricho. I have been doing a lot of "unorthodox" playing with my plants conditions, and the better than normal results could be any one of them, or none of them!
    I am glad to see that someone has the time and desire to perform some actual controlled experiments.
    Again, Good luck!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it a MS/MA thesis? If so, unless you're a good self-starter and, more importantly, a good self-finisher, I recommend that you limit yourself to something that fits in with your adviser's research. I never finished my first attempt at a MS degree because I followed my own muse and then got wrapped up in some unexpected, but peripheral results of my experiments. I took off in a new direction even after having a final draft of my thesis with all my graduate committee's notes on it, ready for the final edits. If you have any tendency to do that, be cautious about straying too far from someone's existing research program.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast