What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Writing my Thesis

I will soon be starting to write a proposal for a thesis for my Master's degree and have played with a couple ideas in the botany/microbiology field. I have one that sounds the appealing and I think could be potentially very interesting to the community here all the while fulfilling my requirements: trichoderma and Sarracenia.

I'm starting with a broad idea and would like to narrow it down to a single strain of trichob(T22?) and down to a single species of Sarr (purp?) so that I am able to make more conclusive results.
I know a few of you here have dealt with writing a thesis so I would be very appreciative of any do's and don'ts like DON'T wait until last minute etc...etc... Also if anyone knows how to or where I could get access to a large amount of Trich and a large amount of identical plants this would save some headache. Other topic ideas are also welcome. Basically if you have an input please post :)

This semester will consist of just writing a proposal so any data collection won't begin until next year at the earliest but I figured I'd get a step ahead of the game and prep as best I can. Once all is done I'll be more than happy to share my results as well as my thesis for those of you interested.

Thanks to all in advance:hail:

Well, I don't have a lot of experience with a formal master's thesis, but I've written a number of papers that my professors/teachers referred to as the like, so I can at least appreciate the scale of your undertaking. Yes, don't stall on it. Also, pick an easily quantifiable question. The question itself doesn't have to be easy, just make sure that you won't have to jump through a lot of hoops to relate your experiment to your hypothesis and conclusion.
I think S. purpurea is a great test subject for the matter - I believe that some of the big industrial nurseries tissue culture it, so you could find clones that way. If you're familiar with the process of striking purps from leaf cuttings, that would make for even more subjects from the same clonal stock.
Take a look at some literature on the matter and see what other people are investigating with Trichoderma. I know there's a lot of contention among horticultural inoculant brands as to the best strains, best mixes, best delivery methods, etc. You may want to have Trichoderma strains be your control variable - investigate the efficacy of different strains or mixes of strains. Keep it simple, but I think one mycorrhizae and one host is a little bit too simple. Unless, I guess, you were doing some sort of microscope study of growth habits or something, but I'm not very experienced with microbiology so I'm drawing a blank.
Anyways, take your time to come up with something you're keen on. But keep in mind that by the time you're finishing your paper, you'll be pulling all nighters, skipping meals, and neglecting everyday hygiene for the sake of milking every remaining second before your deadline. For the sake of your sanity, try to channel some of that impending fervor into your research now, so that you're totally prepared and don't have to backtrack when it comes time to do your labs.
Best luck,
~Joe

i cant help with T22 but i can probably help with certain proprietary strain of T. atroviride (sp?)
Depends on the definition of "a large amount" Yann

You might also approach TF member "true424" (Kelly @ Ampac Biotech)
I think she may have helped provide some similar resource materials to Barry Rice for a research project he is involved with
:p

Thesis

Okay,
"Don't wait till the last minute!"
There, that was easy!

More seriously, indeed it sounds like you have a large, long term experiment to do. (The thesis may end up being about how to deal with experimental failure when all the subjects/samples die after a years worth of work!) BUT, looking on the bright side and staying positive, I had a couple thoughts when reading your request...

I am concerned about narrowing down the type of Tricho to use (T22?) without knowing if it is a wise choice compared to another. Indeed chosing one type of Tricho is good, but which one? It could be the one type that doesn't develop a symbiotic relationship with Sar.Purp's!
So to me, I would also consider a couple side experiments that involve some other Tricho types, just to see if anything is noticed. (I also wonder if variations in environmental conditions could affect the results?... Like the Ph of the growing media for example?)

As for tricho, I have often gotten some that are mixes of many varieties, but the only person I know currently who works with large amounts of a single type of Trichoderma (atroviride), I would contact Kelly (TF: true424). I am sure she would be glad to give you more info.

As for plants, you might consider buying a cloned/TC plant from a TC lab/grower, as these should all be as identical as you can expect. Either that, or buy a huge plant and start making cuttings/divisions of it! :-D

Good luck... and
Keep us updated!

Paul :water:

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Aww,
AV!
You just beat me in by a fraction of a second! :nono:

hehehehe Paul

i just read your mind is all ;)

Thanks all, your inputs are already helping me out immensely. I think testing multiple Tricho strains would be the ideal way to go based on the suggestions. I will contact Kelly and see if we can strike some sort of deal. I still need to meet with my mentoring professor but I wanted to show up with at least some sort of plan.
As for propagating plants from divisions: I think that would be the best route to ensure identical subjects; unfortunately I would be afraid that these divisions would not have sufficient time to develop an extensive root system by the time the trich was to be added. I would also be weary of my results since Trich is an opportunistic fungi and the subjects would have just undergone "stress". I think the best route sounds like contacting a TC lab such as the ones that supply LOWES with the death cubes and nurse the plants back to health in time for trials.

Thanks all! Keep em coming!

Also keep in mind that in order to do this experiment properly, you might have to run it for atleast a few months to an year. I would suggest to have some backup plants as well...I mean these ones are non carnivorous. There are quite a few variables with CPs to control, so perhaps a backup with regular tomato plants or somehting might be a nice fallback strategy if things don't go as planned.

another issue would be contamination by insect transfer.... an insect can very easily carry spores and cross contaminate your groups

you will have to have some way of verifying the integrity of the groups, both for trichoderma growth and no trichoderma growth.
I have some research papers that go into methods for this, look through my research folder Yann.

Butch

Also keep in mind that in order to do this experiment properly, you might have to run it for atleast a few months to an year. I would suggest to have some backup plants as well...I mean these ones are non carnivorous. There are quite a few variables with CPs to control, so perhaps a backup with regular tomato plants or somehting might be a nice fallback strategy if things don't go as planned.

Good point, I really like this idea!

another issue would be contamination by insect transfer.... an insect can very easily carry spores and cross contaminate your groups

you will have to have some way of verifying the integrity of the groups, both for trichoderma growth and no trichoderma growth.

Another good point Butch. Maybe cotton balls in the pitchers as the pitchers open up?

flying, soil loving insects would be a greater concern IMHO..... e.g., fungus gnats

they have already been linked to the spread of Cephalotus sudden death syndrome for the same reason

flying, soil loving insects would be a greater concern IMHO..... e.g., fungus gnats

they have already been linked to the spread of Cephalotus sudden death syndrome for the same reason

:eek: OMG really? I thought ceph sudden death was from not giving the roots air though?

Here are some general tips centered on the research for the literature review. Some of them should be pretty obvious though.

-Gather as many sources as possible as soon as possible.
-Use the university's electronic academic source search engines.
-Get training from a librarian on how to use the above if you're not sure or are rusty on the use.
-Use the interlibrary loans.
-Once you have a slew of sources use a priority-assigning system to organize your sources.

This is based on my experiences with my senior thesis for my major before I completed my undergraduate work. At times, it seemed that I would arrive on the edge of the internet looking for sources using those academic search engines. It gets frustrating if you don't know how to use them efficiently.

Good luck! :awesome:

that is VERY interesting...could explain why my cephalotus is in a rut right now...dont know what went wrong...

this is a common issues doing biological control of weeds research with pathogens (fungi) in the field. Cant stop the fungi from spreading to the adjacent controls unless the controls are off site but then is it really a control. Could you compartmentalize them different treatments? Different sections of the greenhouse? But same greenhouse, same lights,etc.

getting a bunch of similar purps will be more of an issues. not aware of any TC ones for sale as liners..... They do have rubra and some hybrids..........

IE: Plant access...
If no liners or large quantities are readily available...
As you mentioned going to Lowes or elsewhere, perhaps talk to the store manager and ask if he can order you a case, at a discount.
Many store managers will do a special order if they know they are going to get paid for the whole thing. Many store managers will not however!

As for another course of action, gathering a mass of Sarr. Seed and beginning Tricoderma treatment at that point could show results also, even if growth is limited to one year. (I relate this to your already established experiments with Sarr. Seed germination and growth.) The variation of seed types could be inconsequential compared to the overall growth rate found comparing treated from non-treated.
The seedlings size can also help in separating 2 or more batches of "samples",(with their own "terrarium/grow chamber") with less worry about "cross contamination" via bugs captured. Both growing indoors and the small size of the seedlings, makes unwanted bug capture less likely.

I can attest that in general with most plants, I have had better plant growth this past year or so than in previous years, but I cannot confirm that it is directly as a result of utilizing Tricho. I have been doing a lot of "unorthodox" playing with my plants conditions, and the better than normal results could be any one of them, or none of them!
I am glad to see that someone has the time and desire to perform some actual controlled experiments.
Again, Good luck!

Is it a MS/MA thesis? If so, unless you're a good self-starter and, more importantly, a good self-finisher, I recommend that you limit yourself to something that fits in with your adviser's research. I never finished my first attempt at a MS degree because I followed my own muse and then got wrapped up in some unexpected, but peripheral results of my experiments. I took off in a new direction even after having a final draft of my thesis with all my graduate committee's notes on it, ready for the final edits. If you have any tendency to do that, be cautious about straying too far from someone's existing research program.

Is it a MS/MA thesis?
I actually just switched from an MA to an MS by recommendation of my Graduate advisor.

Thank you all for the constructive criticism, this will set me up nicely with some good questions and obstacles to run by my professor/committee. Again thank you all :hail:

Herenorthere has a good point regarding working with your advisor's research. Don't be afraid of sucking up, it often works. Convincing him will be the first priority. I don't have a lot to add to the good comments made already. I think no matter how simple you keep the experiment, it will be a long term study if you want to demonstrate statistical support for your findings. This means a lot of plants, the more the better. As a consequence, the need for simplicity is paramount as you will be dealing with the aspects of it daily and for a good spell. I did a paper which I consider worthy of a masters thesis as an undergrad which required a lot of time doing boring repetitive pollen counts and taxonomic identification of thousands of grains daily. The tedium was nearly unbearable at the end.

Try to source identical plants from TC to eliminate variables in genetic makeup. This is problematical if you are on a time line, but probably no more so than trying to acquire any large number of subjects. That's a hurdle.

Remember: statistics will be your best friend in demonstrating the scientific worth of your study. Learn how to present your data base intelligently by becoming acquainted with the software needed to express this.

Certain topics today are "HOT" intellectually speaking. "Green" gets the attention. Maybe you can use this to inspire interest, lol.

I salute you for your passion and interest, and hope you can realize your research goals!

Also forgot: do not ever forget that you can always ask people for help. You are not alone. This day and age less so than 20 years ago. That was my mistake working on my MS. i wanted to get things perfect before I took it to the committee....

Time flies :)

Thesis is complete! *Huge sigh relief* Graduation in 2 weeks.

For those interested, I did not end up going the Trichoderma route. Instead I chose to compare the dry prey mass and physical pitcher characteristics between S. leucophylla and S. leucophylla anthocyanin free. Keep an eye out in the near future for very hopeful publication *crosses fingers*.

Back