Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My plants arrived dead after two weeks of waiting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im sorry that happened.... When I ordered from there I was pretty lucky...

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh. I just received my order from them today and everything looks decent. The pygmies are dormant but I suppose that makes sense given the season. The aliciae is half dead but should bounce back similar to the capensis. I ordered all my original plants from there as well and all ended up doing very well.

But that ping just looks sad. I think ordering bare root is a risk and probably will end up buying more potted plants and just take the costs. I havent yet contacted him personally so I cannot say whether or not you'll be refunded in any way. Hope you are though!
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is that Pings don't have much of a root system to begin with. It looks like P. primuliflora mush. If so, this ping is very sensitive to sunlight and heat. Maybe it baked in transit.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of bad can happen to plants in transit to a FL address in August. I haven't ordered from him for a number of years, so maybe things have changed, but I found him to be good people and would be surprised if he doesn't make it right. Unless he limits claims on shipments to a place like FL this time of year. I think some orchid growers do.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive got a few capensis to get rid of ,need to thin before they choke out the pings
    Last edited by uphwiz; 09-15-2010 at 02:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks cooked. I'm holding off shipping some critters until the weather evens out on both my and the receivers end looks like Next Monday/Tuesday will be the start of a perfect week for both our locations. Otherwise this time of year I would get some cold packs and add them to shipping since delivery trucks are almost never heated or air conditioned.

I have received some cool growing orchids in the last couple weeks during our heat wave they all made it but all the blooms and spikes were toast. I have noticed Pings in general don't seem to ship well unpotted probably because as someone said because they have such minimal root systems.

I have ordered from that guy years ago and everything has been fine never had any DOAs but I don't generally buy Pings either. He doesn't seem to have the exotic Nep & other botanical species he used to anymore so I haven't been back to him in years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    It's a Capensis Alba. It's difficult to see from pictures, but the growing point is dead. I took root cuttings hoping to salvage the plant. The Pinguicula is completely dead.
    I was going to guess regular capensis. Looks awefully red to be Alba. Why didn't you just get on my SASE list for a free Alba instead of paying for one? If you don't get it replaced, let me know. I've got a couple extra stamps here and can send you one. The one's I've been sending out are about that same size. Sorry about the ping, I've seen my fair share of that same thing this week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I emailed the nursery the minute after making this thread. I still haven't heard back from them.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast