What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NECPS show is drawing close! Official annoucement!

schloaty

Staff member
The 8th Annual Fall Carnivorous Plant Show
Sponsored by the New England Carnivorous Plant Society
Providence RI: The award winning New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) will again be
hosting the Fall Carnivorous Plant Show at the Roger Williams Park Botanical Center Providence
RI. Plant lovers and all those who enjoy something different will be able to get up close to hundreds
of carnivorous plants exhibited by the members of the NECPS. Featured plants will include pitcher
plants from Malaysia with traps the size of softballs that are capable of eating lizards and mice, There
will also be sundews from Australia ranging from the size of a dime to 12+ inches high and the everpopular
Venus Fly trap. For you native plant lovers, NECPS will also display carnivorous plants that
grow locally in Rhode Island and throughout New England.

This is the largest collection of carnivorous plants displayed yearly on the
east coast and the most popular show at the Botanical Center.
Over 300 plants are scheduled to be on display !

Free seminars on growing and feeding carnivorous plants will be offered!
Lots of opportunities for photographers!

Visit the Venus Fly Trap feeding area where you can observe up close how these plants devour
insects. Plants and growing accessories will be available for purchase for both novice and
experienced growers from carnivorous plant vendors and the NECPS. The permanent carnivorous
plant bog exhibit will also be available for viewing. Society members will be present both days to
explain how the plants feed, what they eat, where they live, and how they can be grown and enjoyed
at home.

Admission to the show is FREE with the purchase of regular admission to the
Roger Williams Park Botanical Center

Admission to the RWP Botanical Center is $3 for adults
$1 Children 6 to12, under 6 FREE

Dates and times: Saturday, September 26, 2009 from 11:00 AM till 4:00 PM
Sunday, September 27, 2009 from 10:00 AM till 3:00 PM

1000 Elmwood Avenue
Providence RI 02905

For additional information about this exciting upcoming event, please visit www.NECPS.org
Or email to johnatthebeach@cox.net
(Please note that this event is not located at the Zoo. The Botanical Center Greenhouses are located
across from the Providence Police Mounted Command station in the Park. Follow directional signs
located throughout the park or visit www.NECPS.org for directions.)

The New England Carnivorous Plant Society

Last edited:
will there be vendors and plants for sale?

will there be vendors and plants for sale?
You betcha.
There is one retailer that is always there with a good selection of CPs and exotics. The NECPS members will be selling plants as well. There is a silent auction (for NECPS members) where you can usually get some great deals -- I got a practically new copy of McPherson's Pitcher Plants of the Old World Vol. 1 for half the retail price. There's usually a couple of nice Sarracenia there, and dews and Neps as well. Last year I picked up a nice-sized roridula for about $15.
If you're coming, please bring any plants that you are proud of for display! If you want to contribute, we're also looking for plant donations to sell at the NECPS table.

how do i join NECPS?

I'm entirely sure TSA would not like it if I brought my big mixed australians pot on the plane with me...hummer's giant ceph and pygmy dews in a foot tall pot :lol:

I haven't bought plane tixs yet, but I'm still hoping to go.

Bump! Can't let this fall by the way-side.

Still haven't bought tix yet but I'm thinking at the end of this week I'll decide what I'm doing. What hotel y'alls staying at when you're there? I think I need suggestions on where to stay and like...how to get there (carpool?) and stuff :poke:

Help?

update - this is embarrassing - it's the EITGTH annual, not seventh. Sheesh.

My best wishes for a successful show. Wish I could be there!

Plan on being there hopefully!

My best wishes for a successful show. Wish I could be there!

Tamlin, you surely could be!

One of these years, you gotta come down. Take the bus, a train, whatever, man! I'll drive you around once you get there!

I was originally able to go. Then things changed... Can someone take pics and show em here?

Can someone take pics and show em here?

You know it, Chomp! Several TF members will do so...and most will take better pics than I...however I will post any that I think don't suck too badly.

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to go or not XD

Dang this having a week off and getting to decide which wonderful things I want to do! :-))

The 8th Annual Fall Carnivorous Plant Show
Sponsored by the New England Carnivorous Plant Society
Providence RI: The award winning New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) will again be hosting the Fall Carnivorous Plant Show at the Roger Williams Park Botanical Center, Providence RI. Plant lovers and all those who enjoy something different will be able to get up close to hundreds of carnivorous plants exhibited by the members of the NECPS. Featured plants will include pitcher plants from Malaysia with traps the size of softballs that are capable of eating lizards and mice. There will also be sundews from Australia ranging from the size of a dime to 12+ inches high and the ever-popular Venus Fly trap. For you native plant lovers, NECPS will also display carnivorous plants that grow locally in Rhode Island and throughout New England.

This is the largest collection of carnivorous plants displayed yearly on the east coast and the most popular show at the Botanical Center.

Over 300 plants are scheduled to be on display!
Free seminars on growing and feeding carnivorous plants will be offered!
Lots of opportunities for photographers!

Visit the Venus Fly Trap feeding area where you can observe up close how these plants devour insects. Plants and growing accessories will be available for purchase for both novice and experienced growers from carnivorous plant vendors and the NECPS. The permanent carnivorous plant bog exhibit will be replanted during the show! Society members will be present both days to explain how the plants feed, what they eat, where they live, and how they can be grown and enjoyed at home.

Admission to the show is FREE with the purchase of regular admission to the
Roger Williams Park Botanical Center
Admission to the RWP Botanical Center is $3 for adults
$1 Children 6 to12, under 6 FREE

Dates and times: Saturday, September 25, 2010 from 11:00 AM till 4:00 PM Sunday, September 26, 2010 from 10:00 AM till 3:00 PM

1 Floral Avenue
Providence, RI 02905
For additional information about this exciting upcoming event, please visit www.NECPS.org
Or email to johnatthebeach@cox.net
(Please note that this event is not located at the Zoo. The Botanical Center Greenhouses are located across from the Providence Police Mounted Command station in the Park. Follow directional signs located throughout the park or visit www.NECPS.org for directions.)
The New England Carnivorous Plant Society
PO Box 606 Saunderstown, RI 02874

What hotel y'alls staying at when you're there? I think I need suggestions on where to stay and like...how to get there (carpool?) and stuff :poke:
Help?

I just booked the Courtyard Marriot in Warwick, RI for the Saturday night of the show. It is close to Route 95 which is close to Roger Williams Botanical Garden. I am driving down there on Saturday morning. I can give you a ride if you book a hotel that is close by. If you need hotel advice, you can send me a PM.

I hope you decide to go.

Hiya Dave, I just checked out the Marriot and it said they were full... I think Shloaty found a good spot nearby though.

thez yo: If you like CP's you won't wanna miss this! I have pics from the last few years shows on my website under the Events page. Check it out for an idea of what they are like.

Plus, a bunch of us are going out in Downtown Providence after the Society Dinner!
Part Time!

Well...seeing as how I just got a bunch of plants I have to work on hardening from overseas and I'm already traveling a lot beforehand, I think I'm not going to go to NECPS meet in RI :-(
Maybe next year..

When ya see the picture thread you're gonna say "dangit! I really shoulda!!"

Back