User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could/should the forum be split into more sub-sections?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My preference to to leave the grouping alone. I peruse all of the major forums and find that I tend to spend the most time on Terra - it seems to have more traffic than the others. I could probably check Aidan's forum once per month & not miss much. On CPUK, I have to make 2 clicks to get into the subforums (ie: Nepenthes) and then find there were no new posts - so I wasted my time. While they have some great growers with a lot of knowledge & cool plants, they tend not to post a lot (especially since Aidan left). ICPS is a bit better in that there are no subforums so you can check the last post date but it's still a pain to have to click on every single group. I find that I spend less time there just because it's tedious to keep opening groups. On Terra, it's just much easier to navigate & find posts that interest me....

Otoh, I understand your frustration with wading through posts that amount to 'noise' without any easy way to filter it ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with that too many forums dont work.
    I've seen a lot of forums with interesting subjects but a ton of subboards with 2-3 topics each.
    That doesnt look inviting to me.
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can subscribe to specific threads as well but it doesn't help you to find new posts.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    My preference to to leave the grouping alone. I peruse all of the major forums and find that I tend to spend the most time on Terra - it seems to have more traffic than the others. I could probably check Aidan's forum once per month & not miss much. On CPUK, I have to make 2 clicks to get into the subforums (ie: Nepenthes) and then find there were no new posts - so I wasted my time. While they have some great growers with a lot of knowledge & cool plants, they tend not to post a lot (especially since Aidan left). ICPS is a bit better in that there are no subforums so you can check the last post date but it's still a pain to have to click on every single group. I find that I spend less time there just because it's tedious to keep opening groups. On Terra, it's just much easier to navigate & find posts that interest me....

Otoh, I understand your frustration with wading through posts that amount to 'noise' without any easy way to filter it ...
    I am an active member of CPUK forums and subscribe to the Cephalotus and Heliamphora forums there (I have 1,700 posts currently) . I regularly receive emails about new posts in CPUK forums and often reply to them. Unfortunately this is not possible on Terraforums and I tend to post much less on here because I miss topics that would be of interest to me.

As an aside, CPUK forums seems to be more popular with Europeans and Terraforums with Americans. I think the divide is more to do with locale than number/quality of posts. It also only takes one click to reach the Nepenthes forums, click on the 'Subforums: Nepenthes' link under the 'Pitcher Plants' link.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a european and i like TF more.
    The reason i like TF more is bec it's way more active here, TF has a chatbox and most "local" stuff on CPUK is about the UK afaik, and i dont live there :P
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets not let this become a debate between which is the best forum... back to topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    As an aside, CPUK forums seems to be more popular with Europeans and Terraforums with Americans. I think the divide is more to do with locale than number/quality of posts.
    I agree that my rationale may not the same as other users. I spend much less time on CPUK than in the past and it comes down to the forum layout & number of posts.

Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    It also only takes one click to reach the Nepenthes forums, click on the 'Subforums: Nepenthes' link under the 'Pitcher Plants' link.
    Yeah - I should have looked before I posted. The issue is that I must click on each subforum to see if there is a new post (or is there a better way?). Since the post volume is so low, it's frequently a waste of time to keep clicking on subforums...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't want this thread to become a comparison between different CP forums. I am simply looking for a solution of being notified of new Cephalotus and Heliamphora threads, without getting loads of notifications about species I am not interested in. The only way I know of doing this is if there were species sub-forums.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast