User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could/should the forum be split into more sub-sections?

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If tagging was used more and vBulletin supported a better tagging search this problem would really be solved.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like a seperate section for Cephalotus and Heliamphora too. For example, I see someone post a thread saying "New pictures" and I click on it expecting to see Heliamphora or colorful Cephalotus, but instead they are Sarracenia hybrids or something. Personally, I'm not interested in Sarracenia hybrids and this would clean this up a bit
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think that Cephalotus and Heliamphora should have thier own sections.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also throw in my two cents regarding this topic: I too would like to see the forums broken down into individual families - similar to what ICPS does.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you open a thread that you don't want view, just hit the escape key to kill the pictures loading then the "back" button on your browser. Or just hit the "back" button. How lazy can you be?

Having administered forum and bulletin boards in the past, as well as working with databases for a living it is always easier to start out with too many categories than to split them later when there is a large number of posts or records. Sure, Andrew can create new categories and say "from now on posts about x go in the x forum" but that violates my sense of data integrity because of all the previous posts on x are now mis-categorized.

As JC pointed out people should just tag properly their topics to begin with which would make it a lot easier to filter out what you don't want to read. That's why these features are there.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that it is better to start out with too many categories, as it is always easier to combine rather than split. Sometimes though it is better to change things to make future things better, even though the old way is still lurking in the background. I know that it means that older threads could be mis-categorised but who goes manually searching that far back in forum categories? Surely if you was looking for a specific subject you would use the forums search facility rather that sifting through hundreds of threads in a forum category? Even if tagging was used properly and the forums tag searching was up to the job, that would still not achieve my desire to get notified on a new thread for a specific species.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, of the people who shared an opinion, I appear to be the sole proprietor of the status quo. If the forum is split, we lose 'data integrity' (unless someone volunteers to go back, assess each thread & place it in the correct forum). As noted, most people use the search feature to locate past threads/posts (although not always true) so the data integrity issue would seem to be small (as were my petty objections - apparently). As with most elections, the very vast majority has not felt the need to weigh in at all - likely that they either don't care, don't think they will be impacted or believe the status quo will continue & this issue is just slight noise.

Looking through the posts, it would seem that a reasonable compromise would be to take Cephs & Heli's & give them their own forum. It would be even better if one or more folks would volunteer to move threads for at least the past 1-3 years.....

However, we have yet to hear from the Grand Poobah himself. So what say you - Oh 'Man-behind-the-curtain'?
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not mind helping out with moving stuff.
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast