User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could/should the forum be split into more sub-sections?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could/should the forum be split into more sub-sections?

I have a keen interest in Cephalotus and Heliamphora but have no interest in Sarracenia and Darlingtonia. On other CP forums I subscribe to the Cephalotus and Heliamphora forums, so that I get notification of new threads but by grouping Cephalotus, Heliamphora, Sarracenia and Darlingtonia together in one 'Pitcher Plants' forum I am unable to do this here. Given this grouping philosophy, shouldn't VFT be grouped with Utricularia and Aldrovanda, as they are all 'Spring Traps'?

Is it possible to split these into there own sub-section and if so would this be useful to other forum members?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd like that.
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The splits probably have more to do with the number of posts that a genus generates more than simple taxonomy. If a taxon or group of taxa does not generate enough posting traffic it's not worth the additional administration overhead. It would also be a very time consuming task for the admin and mods to have to go through every thread and move them to new sub-forums.

Utricularia are aquatic, even the terrestrials are semi-aquatic which is why they are grouped with Aldrovanda and Genlisea. Besides, Dionaea alone generates 3 times as many posts as the others named above.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    The splits probably have more to do with the number of posts that a genus generates more than simple taxonomy. If a taxon or group of taxa does not generate enough posting traffic it's not worth the additional administration overhead. It would also be a very time consuming task for the admin and mods to have to go through every thread and move them to new sub-forums.

Utricularia are aquatic, even the terrestrials are semi-aquatic which is why they are grouped with Aldrovanda and Genlisea. Besides, Dionaea alone generates 3 times as many posts as the others named above.
    What would the administrative overheads be? I would not suggest splitting the existing threads across any newly created forums, rather create the extra forums and from there on new threads are added to the appropriate one. I'm not suggesting that VFT should be grouped with Untricularia and Aldrovanda, I was merely using it as an analogy of what we have with the 'Pitcher Plants' forum. Arguably, by not splitting into smaller groups, the forum uses more bandwidth, as anyone who is interested in Cephalotus for example might subscribe to the 'Pitcher Plants' forum and receive notifications of threads for species that they are not interested in. Judging by the number of Cephalotus related threads I would have thought there was enough interest in this species to justify a seperate forum, the same may be true of Heliamphora too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobile View Post
    What would the administrative overheads be? I would not suggest splitting the existing threads across any newly created forums, rather create the extra forums and from there on new threads are added to the appropriate one. I'm not suggesting that VFT should be grouped with Untricularia and Aldrovanda, I was merely using it as an analogy of what we have with the 'Pitcher Plants' forum. Arguably, by not splitting into smaller groups, the forum uses more bandwidth, as anyone who is interested in Cephalotus for example might subscribe to the 'Pitcher Plants' forum and receive notifications of threads for species that they are not interested in. Judging by the number of Cephalotus related threads I would have thought there was enough interest in this species to justify a seperate forum, the same may be true of Heliamphora too.
    I think that a split of this sort would be benificial also...but I've learned to live with it. There are some forums that have subforums on every genus...we don't want to do that!

You need to acquire an interest in sarracenia and darlingtonia. These are some of the most marvelous CPs. Do they not grow well in your location?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One reason id like it split is bec it would make it much easier to find general stuff about heliamphore.
    If i want to just browse topics about it and read about ppls experience now i have to get lucky the good topics actually have "heliamphora" spelled out in them and not some subspecies name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like this, but NAN's guess also makes alot of sense.
    Although, to be honest, I never understood why Cephs were in with Sarrs, and not Nepenthes if there is going to be grouping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, while others even have 2 forums! :P (broms)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast