User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Hike Through the Tongass (DUW)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome pictorial!

How hard would it be for you to do the same trip for us in winter? It would help take the edge off the envy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    "Due to the frequency of human-bear encounters, the B.C. Fish and Wildlife Branch is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and any persons that use the out of doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any bears that might be close by so you don’t take them by surprise.

We also advise anyone using the out-f-doors to carry “Pepper Spray” with him is case of an encounter with a bear.

Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity, and be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly bear feces. Black bear feces is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear feces has bells in it and smells like pepper."

LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dashman View Post
    LOL.
    my wife says the easiest way to tell the difference between a black bear and a griz is if once you have gotten your rear up in the tree, if the bear climbs the tree after you its a black bear.....if the bear pushes the tree over and picks yah up off the ground its a griz......

in all seriousness the response depends on the bear.....pepper spray works, most the time.....a gun works if you hit them right, if you hit them wrong you just torque them off.....basically you just need to be vigilant, bears have good ears and nose but pretty poor eyes, making sure the bear knows your there well ahead of time is good, if you see it first and your to close, back away quietly cause startling the dang thing at close range aint the best plan.....NEVER, EVER get between a sow and her cubs.....

the play dead thing is if your attacked by a black bear cause black bear are rarely interested in eating a person and as soon as they think you are no longer a threat they tend to back off....if your attacked by a griz, your odds are slightly better fighting back, try and gouge the eyes and the like, odds arent alot better but a griz has no problem chewing on yah for a snack so you might aswell fight before the blood loss hits yah......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ IronTom - It would be sufficiently difficult and cold. I most likely wont go to that place again, at least not through that route, it was pretty brutally in even the nicest weather. I could get some winter shots though, not much to look at.

@ dashman - On this island there are only Black bear, so it's not really that dangerous. Like I mentioned, I carry with me a large metal bolt that's about sixteen inches long and has two loose half inch thick metal washers that swing along its shaft, the whole thing probably weighs 7-9 lbs. By swing it about at random times, it makes a very loud metal clanging noise which is unmistakably human. Also I would whack a tree to make my presence known to any wildlife. There were a few times during the hike that I heard some bushes near by moving about, but I think all in all the metal device works pretty good at scaring bears or deer away. I feel safe carrying just that, as it is quite loud, and if worst came to worst, it would make a potentially deadly club.

I'm more worried about hunters shooting you though, it's happened before! All the more reason to make a lot of noise.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome place and awesome pics

Do you happen to know what the fern is in the bottom of this pic ?
    It looks like Blechnum Spicant to me.
    Last edited by Taliesin-DS; 09-21-2010 at 03:31 AM.
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what kind of fern that is. I haven't brushed up on my fernology lately. I'll get back to you when I'm at home and have my field guide handy.

They are quite common though!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dex,
    Thanks for a stunning & educational snapshot of a part of the world I've never been ...

Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    ... but limited logging means there is an interest in preserving it as ppl that use the wood want it to be around for a long time.....if a living thing has amonetary value there is alot more interest in keeping it around long term........
    While the consumers of resources want them to be around, the foresight of those who provide them (loggers, miners, etc) are frequently much shorter term.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Consider this

Rattler you make a good point regarding market and demand of tree related products. Unfortunately you fail to acknowledge the real problem. The problem is not that we need and use tree related products. The real problem is that we as a living species of this blue planet cannot figure out a way to live in harmony with our ecosystem. Instead of harmony, we say that we need and use tree products so don't complain if you live in a wood framed house, or wipe our bottoms with toilet paper, etc. What we ought to be doing is thinking progressively and creating products that are sustainable. Thusly we would limit the usage of semi-sustainable natural resources to only the times when we really need to use them.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast