Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sending CP seed to others

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me this is a timely post that I will take to heart. There is a fairly inexpensive alternative if you dont mind the extra stamp.....use LOTS of padding, add another stamp and BOLDLY MARK "Hand Cancel Only" It was the only way I could ship gemmae with success. There is a gauge slot the PO uses, if too thick for regular machine cancellation the letter is returned for insufficient postage. With the added postage about a half inch thick will ensure it doesn't suffer machine extinction!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the letter is over 1/4" thick it goes through a different process. Ditto if the letter is too stiff or has odd shaped stuff in it like a pen or badge or something. You could always pay the non-machinable surcharge and label "hand sort - no machine".

Hand canceling applies to the sending post office only and if it is local delivery (same city) it usually will not go through the sorting machines. Other than that it is a crap shoot if it will go through the machines or not. They don't always honor the "no machine" even if you paid the surcharge and they letter doesn't obviously look like a non-machinable letter.

See my earlier post to a link of what is considered non-machinable. You could try putting the address so it is parallel to the short dimension of the envelope and paying the surcharge. This is considered non-machinable.

One of the dollar stores sells padded/bubble envelopes in packages of 4 or 5. I normally keep a stock of these on hand. Postage is usually $0.85 - $1.20 range. I've never figured out why they sometimes charge more when the weight is about the same. They don't always put it through the gauge to measure the thickness. Usually when they measure it and it is under they charge the lower rate. Go figure.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the dollar stores sells padded/bubble envelopes in packages of 4 or 5. I normally keep a stock of these on hand. Postage is usually $0.85 - $1.20 range. I've never figured out why they sometimes charge more when the weight is about the same. They don't always put it through the gauge to measure the thickness. Usually when they measure it and it is under they charge the lower rate. Go figure.
    I think that this is the best of all worlds - expense and ensuring seeds aren't "butter".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    I think a few layers of paper towel provides enough cushioning and give for Drosera, VFT, & Sarracenia seeds
    While this may sometimes work, when it's needed to work, the recipient will receive dust ... (IME)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    The bubble mailers for seeds larger than sundew seeds work well. I would think that a layer of thin bubble wrap on both sides of a packet is sufficient.
    I've never had an issue with the padded/bubble envelopes. As NaN said, I also keep a bunch of them around.

However, some people wrap seed packets in a 1-2" section of small bubble-wrap and place it in a regular envelope. More often than not, when I receive seeds packaged like this, the bubble wrap has been flattened and the seeds destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by droseraguy View Post
    I would like to suggest another method I have used in the past allegedly successfully. Cut a piece of cardboard box...
    I recently sent a bunch of valuable seed overseas and used this approach since I had no idea what conditions the envelope might see and the seeds absolutely had to get there in prime condition.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must have had great luck on both ends. The worst thing I ever had sent was a packet of B. liniflora in an ordinary envelope. Bubblemailers are the way to go.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I just commisioned my wife to go out and buy a package of padded envelopes.

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    If the letter is over 1/4" thick it goes through a different process. Ditto if the letter is too stiff or has odd shaped stuff in it like a pen or badge or something. You could always pay the non-machinable surcharge and label "hand sort - no machine".

Hand canceling applies to the sending post office only and if it is local delivery (same city) it usually will not go through the sorting machines. Other than that it is a crap shoot if it will go through the machines or not. They don't always honor the "no machine" even if you paid the surcharge and they letter doesn't obviously look like a non-machinable letter.

See my earlier post to a link of what is considered non-machinable. You could try putting the address so it is parallel to the short dimension of the envelope and paying the surcharge. This is considered non-machinable.

I found out the postage thing on my fourth use of letter sized bubble envelopes... I don't use them anymore because of that. The first three worked fine for sensitive seeds with one stamp, being the same weight and shape of a regular envelope, but the fourth time it was sent back postage due at either 1.12 or 1.22 (The equivalent cost for a package at a greater weight!) and after a long delay, too. I'd use them and possibly save the delicate seeds but it's not worth it to have to put the package equivalent in postage because of the chance the P/O will be stupid.
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, conceivable, with SASE offerings of seeds, say Sarracenias, B. liniflora, and the like, we could send a padded envelope, plus another dollar or two to cover the postage back, and have that envelope reused (addresses rewritten), right?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast