What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will this possible for sarracenia?

will it be possible for a sarracenia to be appear as variegerated?
attachment.php

sorry for any mistake i cause, good day:-D

Sure looks like Sarrecenias in the process of germination.

did you see a pure white seedling situated in the middle of the picture?

My thoughts....
It appears further along in development then all the other seeds that are germinating... so it might not be a sarr seedling.

If it a sarr seedling, not seeing any green from chlorophyll concerns me that it will not survive because it will not be able to photosynthesize.

elgecko said my thoughts exactly!

So that is 2 votes for what he said!

Looks like the seeds were slightly buried and the new growth has recently emerged from the soil a little pale. My guess is it will green up... either that or burn up and die.

but strangely, there still have somemore which have pure white cotyledom, perhaps they will die due to lack of chrophyll....have we see any variegerated sarracenia before?

I'm not sure that it would be possible to determine variegation from the cotyledons since they are technically part of the embryo which would not show the variegation. That does not look like a Sarracenia cotyledon to me, but it could be. If it remains pure white, it's lacking chlorophyll and will consequently die.

Albino?

perhaps it is a albino, due to lack of some tissue culture apparatus, today i had pick them out and send it to my friends, hope he will be able to grow them, if so, we might have a pure white sarracenia....haha

As in animals, albinism in plants is caused by lack of pigment. However, in plants the lack is fatal because the missing pigment is chlorophyll. Without chlorophyll, the albino plant has no way to manufacture the food needed for survival and growth to maturity. Albino seedlings usually live only about a week, but albino root suckers tend toward a bit more longevity because they can draw food from the parent plant.
http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF4/433.html

If it is a true albino plant, it wont survive..sorry..
(varigated plants do have chlorophyll, as do "anthocyanin-free" plants..
those are quite different from true albinos)

Scot

Back