Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Import problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The GRE is a joke, schools will look at prior GPA and classwork before they look at your GRE scores. I took it myself and took it as seriously as I took an exit exam and still scored decently. Many schools don't state a minimum score for acceptance simply because they really don't use it as a tool to examine students. I feel that it's become more of a accepted standard to require students to take it before admittance just to have some sort of barrier to say "You must be 'this' qualified to get in".
    If you've had undergrad classes and did decently well, getting into Grad School shouldn't be an issue.

Best of luck with your current standings...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I showed up to take the GRE wearing a short sleeved shirt with a button up sweater over it because the instructions I was given was "dress where you will be comfortable in a variety of temperatures". I get there and the guy makes me take my sweater off because he said it wasn't allowed in the room. So I was freezing, with goosebumps the whole time. Plus, he was coming in and out of the room slamming the door and talking to people who had questions. I couldn't concentrate, and this is a timed test - I had to reread things several times and couldn't concentrate because of all the distractions. There was a glare on the computer screen that made it really difficult to read. It was a bad experience. The program I want to get into does take the GRE score very seriously. Some don't, but for psychology, they really take it into account. They also take an average of all the times you take it rather than just taking the highest scores. I didn't do absolutely horrible, but not nearly as good as I need, so my future in a phd program is not secure. I was shooting for getting my bachelor's and going straight into a doctorate program. Now I may have to go for a Master's first and then try again in 2 years to get into the Phd program. I'm going to try again, but I'm going to have to bring the score up about 200 points to have a shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    F R e N c H 3 z is correct that a lot of factors go into the selection of grad school students, but he is not correct that GRE is a joke. It is anything but a joke. Some schools take it very seriously, especially in years like this last one where some schools had 10 times the applications that they had in previous years. And it will depend upon the program you are trying for. Some schools/departments do have published GRE standards that must be met. Others it doesn't matter so much as long as everything else is strong. And it is a means of weeding out weaker students before they get to the door. PhD programs are particularly competitive since most are at least partially funded by the school itself. It is important to remember to keep in mind that GRE is a weak indicator of your potential ability to do well in grad school--grad school admissions committee care a lot about this!

It is also important to remember that the GRE is not really testing you verbal or mathematical aptitude. English and (grade 10) math are simply the means that they can use to test other things in such a way that students from any discipline can do the test without a prerequisite of specialized knowledge. With that said, the GRE is actually testing you on two rules of graduate school (1) knowing the system, and (2) jumping through the hoops. Successful graduate students always study for tests even when they are told not to study. Students who study for the GRE get an average of 300 points higher than those who did not. And even though ETS says you cannot study for it, those that study for it score much higher than those who do not. Furthermore, your ability to take the test seriously shows that you can apply yourself and study for a test even though it is complete poppycock. Finally, it is important to recognize that the math portion of the exam is not about math at all, it is a logic test using math. And yes, all sections of the test matter, even if your particular school says it does not. I know a guy who scored high 700s on the verbal and less than 300 on the quantitative. And even though he applied to schools that said they only looked at the verbal, 5 out of 6 rejected him on the basis of the low score. The truth is that no one wants a social scientist that cannot read a graph or an engineer who cannot construct a simple sentence. Both portions are important and both count even when the schools say they do not.

The good news is if you are going for a master's degree the GRE score will play less of a role for the admissions process. If you got at least 1100, you will be fine for the masters level. If you are applying for a top school for the PhD, you will need at least 1350. And if you are applying for a PhD at a lesser school you may be fine with a 1250. The silver lining in this is that people who take a master's before a PhD are more likely to actually complete their PhD as opposed to those who enter straight from their bachelor degree. It is also important to note that if you did really poorly and you retest raising your score by more than 200 points, be prepared to take the test a third time as their anti-cheating protocols kick in. They will consider you guilty until proven innocent and will not post your improved score until you can prove you didn't cheat by taking it a third time. And of course, you are paying for this third retest--there are no freebies with ETS. It isn't fair but it is their game and their rules.

If you would like to discuss this off-line, feel free to PM me. I'm right now at grad school and will be going through the application process yet again in the not too distant future.

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plants are still sitting in customs. Malesiana Tropicals agreed to pay the 250 dollars to get the plants reconditioned so they would be released, but they asked me to pay the money and they would pay me back. I said no, gave them the number to contact and work it out themselves, and I haven't heard back from anyone. I paid through paypal, so lucky for me, I have that avenue open to get my money back. I already filed a claim of nonreceipt of the shipment, so hopefully paypal will find in my favor and give my money back. If a miracle happens and I get the plants and they are still in good shape, I will cancel the claim through paypal. This is such a mess.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by back2eight View Post
    The plants are still sitting in customs. Malesiana Tropicals agreed to pay the 250 dollars to get the plants reconditioned so they would be released, but they asked me to pay the money and they would pay me back. I said no, gave them the number to contact and work it out themselves, and I haven't heard back from anyone. I paid through paypal, so lucky for me, I have that avenue open to get my money back. I already filed a claim of nonreceipt of the shipment, so hopefully paypal will find in my favor and give my money back. If a miracle happens and I get the plants and they are still in good shape, I will cancel the claim through paypal. This is such a mess.
    Due to some issues with plant shipments in the past I have called Paypal and there policy for ANY plant matter is the seller is at fault. They don't care about any details but it was a plant or plant matter and the seller is at fault. Something to keep in mind if your selling plants.

I really don't think you will have any problem getting a full refund from Paypal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have called Paypal and there policy for ANY plant matter is the seller is at fault.
    Thanks, I sell plants on ebay occasionally so that's good to know.

Do they make stipulations on how long the person had the plant before they killed it or is it only "on arrival" they care about? I have no idea how plant shops can stay in business offering a year guarantee on their plants - one never knows how a customer will treat the plant once they get it home.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Thanks, I sell plants on ebay occasionally so that's good to know.

Do they make stipulations on how long the person had the plant before they killed it or is it only "on arrival" they care about? I have no idea how plant shops can stay in business offering a year guarantee on their plants - one never knows how a customer will treat the plant once they get it home.
    From when I talked to them, its there normal 30 day window. Any claim on a plant or plant material the seller is at fault.

For an example that actually happened to me. I sold an orchid on E-bay, it arrived in good condition (had e-mails from them saying so), the new owner tried to grown it with the roots completely underwater for a week. It died, they filed a claim and Paypal could careless what happened. I lost.

I've only had a few problems out of the hundreds of shipments but they were all like that, the new owner did something really wrong with the plant and filed a claim. Paypal refunded them every time and did not care about the details, photos or e-mails. Things like, you tried to grow Nep on your patio in 110 degree weather and you did not water it for a week? It arrived in perfect condition, of course you should get a full refund.

Oh and Paypal does not require them to return the plants either. So you could order, pay with Paypal, get healthy plants, file a claim, get your money back and keep the healthy plants. But thats just wrong...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buyers on ebay are starting to really take advantage of the no negative feedback from sellers. It's rediculous. Paypal always finds in the buyer's favor because they want people to keep buying. I've never had to do a claim this large, and it is from overseas, so I'm a little nervous about it with so much money at stake.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast