Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Import problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Import problem

I have a shipment that is held up in customs right now because the seller did not remove the plants from the growing media before shipping. The growing media is sphagnum moss, which is okay as a packing material, but the customs official who called me said these appear to have been growing in this moss, and it was not simply used as a packing material. They have had the plants for 3 days now trying to decide if they are allowed to let them through to me or if they must send them back to the grower in Maylasia. This company claims to ship to the US all the time, so they should know better than ship plants like this!

kristi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting that customs distinguishes between LFS depending on how it was used.

The more I deal with overseas growers, the more careful I am. I've had multiple issues where I give them step-by-step guidance on how to package, where to ship, etc & they ignore everything I've told them & do whatever they want. Most of the time I suspect that this is due to language barriers & poor translation software. However, I keep recalling how another Terra member got hit with a $2500 fine & I weigh how much I really want the plants/seeds from overseas....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to send them back to the shipper.
    Strange they always jest destroy mine
    Have been bit so many times I almost to the point of not buying O S anymore
    Where are they stuckcustom office
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are destroying them. They said they could charge me 250 dollars to have someone properly repackage the plants and have them shipped to me and I said no thanks. It's not my responsibility. The company shipping to me should have done it properly. So I sent them an email telling them I need a new shipment or a refund. They are going to refuse, at which point I will file a claim with paypal. This was $750.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man Kristi, that's awful D:
    Sorry you're going through that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohman, that really sucks. I'm sorry that happened.
    I've yet to order plants from overseas, because I'm sooooo terrified of having this happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These were not for personal use. They were an investment. So I am out so much more than the cost of these plants. I've made tags with the names of these plants, which cost 40 dollars and hours of time. I paid an employee to get pots filled with soil ready. Not to mention the lost revenue that I was counting on to help with Christmas. I'm so pissed. This company said they are familiar with shipping in the US and they have never had a package destroyed by customs before. The guy at customs is being a huge jerk. He admitted to not finding anything wrong with the plants, no pests or anything like that. He's following a stupid rule, and the plants are sterile and FINE but he won't allow them through because their roots are attached to the moss. So now I have to file a claim with paypal and hope they find in my favor and will give me my money back. That takes 30 days or so for them to make a decision. Then it will be too cold to order more plants, even if I find a company that I am happy buying from. This marks two overseas companies from my list now - unless they do the right thing and agree to reship at no cost to me since it was their fault.

I took the GRE last week and had a bad experience with it, too. So overall things are not going too well for me. Ugh..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very difficult to deal with US Customs these days. Unless it is in sterile TC media, it is very difficult these days to get plants into the US. It really has come to the point where you're best no longer trying.

BTW, I also sympathize with you on the GRE. The GRE is hell. I hope you didn't do too poorly as this could affect your ability to retake the test.

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast