What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terraforum 2011 calander

uphwiz

jimmy
Has anyone here ever tried to get together some of the nicest pics, and create a carnivorous plant calendar, with exclusively photographed plants from here on the forum ?:0o:
It could be a great way to raise funds to help with whatever cause, deemed best for the forum.
I dont have the skills necessary , but would do what i could to help in the process.
and would for sure pay to have a nice calander with say all the pitcher of the month winners on each month. Maybe even the top five each month with the winner getting a centered larger pic than the other winners.
Any thoughts. is this something we could ,:poke: and is anyone interested?

OMGOMGOMGOMG Awesome idea!!! I could spare a pic or two(but not a great pic!)

i agree..but let's not limit it to just pitchers, unless sarrs count too :D

I'd buy one and "try" to get some pitcher pictures donated. I don't think my neps are worthy for a calender, but maybe my dews would make the cut.

Not sure of printing costs, but I'm already set up with exposure manager, zenfolio and zazzle if any of those prove inexpensive enough for us to use

We could start a treasury and donate whatever necessary funds to it, to get the printing done, then the donated funds could be returned to each participant supplying the funds, then leftover portion of any profit could be applied to the the cause voted for here, and by all members involved.

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

might be a little tricky but I think we already have the trustworthy people here to help with this as well.

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

Also , Im just rolling a snow ball here to see how much hair I can get on it.
LOL I just came up with that.:-)) laughing at myself.

Every ones input will help the process go smother if we are to do this. HOPE HOPE

That's a fun idea! I wouldn't even know where to get started though.

we need a calander committee..each of the following need to be done
1. decide on size and style
2. price out printing costs
3. find a member willing to act as treasurer, I volunteer our own site owner in exchage for advertising :D
4. find a member with good graphical layout skills to do the set up
5. figure on pricing, mailing methods, costs, etc.
6. decide on the photos and photo layout, and if we want to include the plant's name, grower's name etc with the pictures
7. decide where they would be mailed to..that person would have to handle all the shipping

I'm sure I'm missing a few things here, but i have rolled this snowball before

a possible prize suggestion for those whose photos made the cut could be a free calender.
" find a member with good graphical layout skills to do the set up" <-- i'd love to do this.

I've got some good photos...

" find a member with good graphical layout skills to do the set up" <-- i'd love to do this.

OK amphirion, your the first on the want to do list. I myself dont know where I fit in but do want to help , and am willing to offer my share of the funds, to get us going.

Should we start posting pics here for candidates,

PLEASE dont start posting pics till we get a little Input from everyone who has already shown interest here.

just trying to move a long a little . only have about 8 to 9 weeks before december , and I think that would be a good month tho shoot for , if thats at all possible. so there is time the sell them b-fore 2011,,,,,,,,,

by the way did anyone, feel the 10month 10thday 10thhour 10thminute 10thsecond roll by , it will be 100 years before we see it again.

PS if anyone is looking for calendar programs/ or printing options, I would like to request something with lunar phases on the days, and a grid type #days section , so we can keep with watering feeding treating our cps.

I might be able to get the printing done. I'll look into it and post here later.

This sounds like it's going to be fun :-D

If anyone is handy with photoshop maybe we could take a few pictures, rather than just one, and make a neat collage like layout. Doesn't have to be many pictures, just a couple to get more people involved and give a large enough spot to make it look nice, then maybe they could paste it back here and get a consensus?

Edit: Maybe each month featuring a different genus? And for the extra months maybe bragging rights to those that have won Pitcher or Plant of the Month based on a majority consensus as well?

Last edited:
This sounds like it's going to be fun :-D

If anyone is handy with photoshop maybe we could take a few pictures, rather than just one, and make a neat collage like layout. Doesn't have to be many pictures, just a couple to get more people involved and give a large enough spot to make it look nice, then maybe they could paste it back here and get a consensus?

i was thinking about 12 photos and they could be anything, from close up macros, to entire plants, to CPs in the wild, with as many genus representatives as possible. it'd be nice to have a few of the elusives, but a good ol' capensis does have a right to have a photo shoot. i'd take a few snap shots of my plants myself, but my camera isnt print worthy caliber.

oh and then below the pic but on the same page, a random blurb of the plant, photo credit, etc etc. you know, stuff?

I think various people could be incharge of the graphical skills and layout, this would add some skills some people may not have, or ideas. I would be willing to collaborate in that area. The person over looking this project can decide.

I think there should be a picture for each genus of CP. Utricularia's flowers, nepenthes' pitchers, etc.

@carnivore: the only problem with that suggestion is that different people have different preferences. too many people will cause problems. it's kinda like the same with having too many head cooks in the same kitchen working on the same dish. that's not to say we cant try---but when it comes to making decisions....that's going to be a toughie...

i guess we could design a mock calendar page, post it on this thread, and see which layout people like the best?

Perhaps the members could give feedback, and each 'designer' could create their own version according to the feedback, and then they'd vote on their favourite, that way everyone has input.

Anyways I'd be willing to help in anything else if I'm needed.

I have a few nice pics of nep pitchers and such, feel free to use any of mine if you want.

Back