Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SOEXCITED- Let Lolita Live!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SOEXCITED- Let Lolita Live!

Hi everyone...
    As some of you may know, this weekend is so massively epic for me that I can't stand it! And just simply because how big and important this is (well, atleast to me)...I thought I'd share:

I will be driving down to Miami and taking part in the Let Lolita Live rally!!!

Lolita is a 44 year old captive orca that is kept at the Miami Seaquarium. She's been stuck there since 1970 when she was ripped from her family in the wild and transported across the country to there. Her tank is illegal by the Animal Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) standards for size requirements- being just 80' x 35', a mere 20' deep at the deepest point, and only 12' deep around the edges. Lolita, by comparison, is approximately 21' long and 7,000 pounds.
    The Miami Seaquarium is considered to be one of the most dilapidated aquatic parks in the world. It is in need of major repairs, and per the Marine Mammal Inventory Report, has a substantial death rate for their animals.

The objective is to get Lolita retired to a bay pen in her native waters off the coast of Washington State. There is a plan devised that would allow her to reside in a generously sized bay pen and be taken care of while slowly being re-acclimated to her natural waters. The hope is that she will be rehabilitated to the natural surroundings while being able to interact with her family. If she adapts well and chooses to do so, she would eventually be released to rejoin her pod. If for any reason she decides to return to the bay pen, she will be taken care of for the rest of her life while still being able to live in a spacious, natural environment in close proximity to her wild relatives.

The rally is being organized by Oceanic Defense and the Let Lolita Live project, which was started by a 9 year old boy named Trevor. It will be hosted by Pete Bethune (who allied with the Sea Shepherds on the last season of Whale Wars). It's Sunday, 12-2 infront of the Seaquarium if anyone's in the area and wants to show support

I will update Sunday night with pictures from the actual rally. But for now, here's the shirt and posters I've made (not my best work, but not bad for last minute):

So uh, yeah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you design the whale in the fishbowl? That's great! Good luck with getting her freed. In general I don't like seeing any open water fishes like: whales, sharks, paddlefish, sturgeons, etc. in aquariums. I especially HATE animal trick shows of all kinds.

I always laugh myself silly when someone gets mauled or eaten on those When Animals Attack video programs !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I wish I had, but it's a pre-existing logo. The iron-on transfer was an epic fail, though, so I ended up having to paint in everything that's not black.
    When I was young...I loved Sea World. I loved the opportunity to get so close to these animals I'd otherwise likely never see. But then I got smart and stopped being selfish. I realized "amusement parks" are abominations, that these animals do not belong there.
    And with the 4 deaths in the past 4 months at Sea World, the numerous Whale Sharks getting ill and dying in aquariums, and poor Lolita...it's just so glaringly obvious that these creatures aren't made for captivity. I hope people will see that. I hope that our voices will be too loud for the owners to ignore anymore.

Thank you

Me too, btw. Total "You Deserved It"s. And I'm always rooting for the monsters in the movies ;D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good luck saying a prayer , how can we do this to such a wonder of our planet.
    Love your art work , as swords says you might want a copyright on that idea, says it all .
    Why shouldn't an animal grab someone by the arm and drown them , that's what is being done here, only very slowly .
    I agree with you both. EAT EM UP !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really hope eveything works!
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And with the 4 deaths in the past 4 months at Sea World.....

Not directed at you personally or an attempt to cause a big controversy, but freeing Kieko didn't turn out too well, and why do most people ignore the fact that animals in the wild also die. I imagine many more than 4 whales died in the wild in the past 4 months, its just those deaths are not played on the local news.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buster, you have to look at it right... How many orcas are in the wild vs in captivity though? 4 is alot for captivity....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, here we go. Knew it!
    I was gonna make some disclaimer that said this is not the place to debate about Whale Wars, SSCS, Pete Bethune, or ridiculous reasons that defend keeping these animals in captivity. Or otherwise rain on my parade.
    And I decided not to, cause man, I'd be a jerk for assuming it'd be necessary to state the obvious. I thought everyone here would be able to look at this and use their better judgment that this is not the place.
    Way to prove me wrong.

Keiko's situation was not ideal, no. It is unfortunate that he ended up dead, but as you said, it's what they do. They die. Hey look...he wasn't in a park and still made the news! It should be dualy noted however, that it was successful initially, and it should be celebrated that in the time before his death, he was able to yet again live as the wild orca he was meant to be.
    Perhaps you missed it, but Lolita will not be dumped into the ocean. She will, in the least, be relocated, to a sufficiently larger bay pen, which would give her more space, and more natural conditions. The other difference between Loli and Keiko is that they know where her pod is. They were never able to find Keiko's pod, and it's speculated that the loneliness drove Keiko to beach himself.
    So uh, just what exactly is your point? That we should condemn these creatures to small cement pools, forcing them to perform for the rest of their lives, on the off chance they die once they're released? You don't think any lessons were learned from Keiko's run? Lolita doesn't even deserve, in the least, a bigger, better enclosure with a far more enriched life?
    Also, just..while I'm at it.. Whales die in the wild. Sure. That's supposed to happen. It should be noted that when whales wash up, dead or alive, they usually make atleast local news, but more often than not, they make national news. Their deaths aren't reported without their corpses to ogle over.
    The fact that you're ignoring, is that when orcas die in the wild, they've usually reached the end of their lifespan of 60 or so years, presuming they're not struck by a boat or some such. The whales that have died in the past 4 months weren't even 30. You gonna tell me that's acceptable, that's natural, with a straight face? REALLY? IF this were happening in the wild, I promise you, people would be scrambling to figure out what's causing so many premature deaths. The mystery isn't quite as grand in this situation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast