Thread: Cephalotus 'Eden Black' Seeds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bag1234 View Post
    They were self pollinated.
    In that case.....

I would plant them if I were you.....unless you want a big pile of money to roll in, that is.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    Even if they are Cephalotus 'Eden Black' seeds, the chances of the seedlings looking like the parents are probably 000000.2%
    Why would this statement be true? The trait for which Cephalotus 'Eden Black' is famous (dark coloration) was achieved afaik through natural means (ie: no mutagenic chemicals were used and it wasn't a t/c 'sport'). The genes responsible for this trait would seem to have a decent likelihood of being passed on via the reproductive process ...

Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    Were both parents of the seed Cephalotus 'Eden Black', or was the seed the result of a self polination?
    Inherent in your question appears to be the assumption that crossing two identical clones is somehow different than 'selfing'. Why would this be true?
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-21-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the flowers were both of Cephalotus 'Eden Black' there is a very good chance they will look similar to the parents, it more unlikely you would get something else. That said, the plant would NOT be a Cephalotus 'Eden Black' I don't care what happened.

It would need to be labeled Cephalotus 'Eden Black' x or Cephalotus 'Eden Black' x 'Eden Black' depending if there were 1 or 2 parents.

Back to the original topic you could probably get alot for even one seed IF the person buying/trading for them believed they were the real deal. However, get a seedling and it would be 100X more, get a seedling that looked like a Cephalotus 'Eden Black' and well...Just keep it labeled correctly.

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Inherent in your question appears to be the assumption that crossing two identical clones is somehow different than 'selfing'. Why would this be true?
    There is a difference someone much smarter than me would need to explain, from my dealing with the orchid world there is something...I just don't understand it all. Now if this has any effect on Cephalotus I don't know.

Thus the 2 ways to label the crosses.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-21-2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    There is a difference someone much smarter than me would need to explain, from my dealing with the orchid world there is something...I just don't understand it all. Now if this has any effect on Cephalotus I don't know.

Thus the 2 ways to label the crosses.
    Good to know that there's at least the potential for a difference. Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-21-2011 at 07:14 PM.
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK Thank you guys for the responses. The problem is when I trade or if I trade i dont want to make ridiculously unfair deals. So how much is 1 seed worth? Like plant wise.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK Thank you guys for the responses. The problem is when I trade or if I trade i dont want to make ridiculously unfair deals. So how much is 1 seed worth? Like plant wise.
    If they were fresh and I believed they were the real deal....a nice plant like a mid sized Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant', maybe more. Its really had to put a price on something that is in such limited suppy. These things are just not available in the states. Now not fresh well maybe a small Cephalotus. The "freshness" of seeds is very important.

Again your down to can you prove to the buyer they are real, the difference between proof and a maybe is huge here.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-21-2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how much is 1 seed worth? Like plant wise.
    It's always tough to compare plants versus seeds. Seeds offer the 'potential' of new genetic combinations producing interesting & possibly unique traits but that also produces an uncertainty. You also have the issue of germination (ie: Ceph seeds often have a low germination rate - sometimes even zero). Plants offer certainty, you know what you're getting.

Either way, whatever deals you want to make, make them soon as the clock is ticking on those guys ...
    Last edited by RL7836; 10-17-2010 at 11:13 AM.
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Again your down to can you prove to the buyer they are real, the difference between proof and a maybe is huge here.
    Providing the same username is used on this forum and CPUK, then I would say that this link would be sufficient to provide evidence.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast