What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus 'Eden Black' Seeds

I got 10 seeds. How much are they worth?

Not sure, I'd trade you for a couple/few though, lol. For reals.

Are you VERY sure they are Cephalotus 'Eden Black' seeds? There were a few people selling Cephalotus 'Eden Black' plants/seeds that were not them. I think there are still only a handful of people that have this plant and it is not being passed around. I could be wrong but I remember reading something about that from the original grower.

IF they are actually Cephalotus 'Eden Black' seeds, I would need some type of proof. They would be worth a ton. Normal Ceph seeds sell on E-bay for $.5-$1, Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant' more...Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant' are commonish plants. So figure it out.

Most likely you don't have Cephalotus 'Eden Black' seeds, unless you got them from the original grower.

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

Here is a thread about some of the fake plants. http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25165

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if they are Cephalotus 'Eden Black' seeds, the chances of the seedlings looking like the parents are probably 000000.2%

I would say they are worth putting in a pot and trying to grow.

Ok.. I got then from the person who registered the plant, Gardonofeden on cpukforums.

Ok.. I got then from the person who registered the plant, Gardonofeden on cpukforums.

Were both parents of the seed Cephalotus 'Eden Black', or was the seed the result of a self pollination?

They were self pollinated.

They were self pollinated.

In that case.....

I would plant them if I were you.....unless you want a big pile of money to roll in, that is. :-))

Even if they are Cephalotus 'Eden Black' seeds, the chances of the seedlings looking like the parents are probably 000000.2%
Why would this statement be true? The trait for which Cephalotus 'Eden Black' is famous (dark coloration) was achieved afaik through natural means (ie: no mutagenic chemicals were used and it wasn't a t/c 'sport'). The genes responsible for this trait would seem to have a decent likelihood of being passed on via the reproductive process ...

Were both parents of the seed Cephalotus 'Eden Black', or was the seed the result of a self polination?
Inherent in your question appears to be the assumption that crossing two identical clones is somehow different than 'selfing'. Why would this be true?

If the flowers were both of Cephalotus 'Eden Black' there is a very good chance they will look similar to the parents, it more unlikely you would get something else. That said, the plant would NOT be a Cephalotus 'Eden Black' I don't care what happened.

It would need to be labeled Cephalotus 'Eden Black' x or Cephalotus 'Eden Black' x 'Eden Black' depending if there were 1 or 2 parents.

Back to the original topic you could probably get alot for even one seed IF the person buying/trading for them believed they were the real deal. However, get a seedling and it would be 100X more, get a seedling that looked like a Cephalotus 'Eden Black' and well...Just keep it labeled correctly.

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Inherent in your question appears to be the assumption that crossing two identical clones is somehow different than 'selfing'. Why would this be true?

There is a difference someone much smarter than me would need to explain, from my dealing with the orchid world there is something...I just don't understand it all. Now if this has any effect on Cephalotus I don't know.

Thus the 2 ways to label the crosses.

There is a difference someone much smarter than me would need to explain, from my dealing with the orchid world there is something...I just don't understand it all. Now if this has any effect on Cephalotus I don't know.

Thus the 2 ways to label the crosses.
Good to know that there's at least the potential for a difference. Thanks for the info. :hail:

OK Thank you guys for the responses. The problem is when I trade or if I trade i dont want to make ridiculously unfair deals. So how much is 1 seed worth? Like plant wise.

OK Thank you guys for the responses. The problem is when I trade or if I trade i dont want to make ridiculously unfair deals. So how much is 1 seed worth? Like plant wise.

If they were fresh and I believed they were the real deal....a nice plant like a mid sized Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant', maybe more. Its really had to put a price on something that is in such limited suppy. These things are just not available in the states. Now not fresh well maybe a small Cephalotus. The "freshness" of seeds is very important.

Again your down to can you prove to the buyer they are real, the difference between proof and a maybe is huge here.

So how much is 1 seed worth? Like plant wise.
It's always tough to compare plants versus seeds. Seeds offer the 'potential' of new genetic combinations producing interesting & possibly unique traits but that also produces an uncertainty. You also have the issue of germination (ie: Ceph seeds often have a low germination rate - sometimes even zero). Plants offer certainty, you know what you're getting.

Either way, whatever deals you want to make, make them soon as the clock is ticking on those guys ...

Last edited:
Again your down to can you prove to the buyer they are real, the difference between proof and a maybe is huge here.
Providing the same username is used on this forum and CPUK, then I would say that this link would be sufficient to provide evidence.

**Update**

Today the Cephalotus 'Eden Black' seeds came in as well as Cephalotus "vigorous clumping" from GardenofEden the person who created this cultivar.:banana2:

Today the Cephaolotus 'Eden Black' seeds came in as well as Cephalotus "vigorous clumping" from GardenofEden the person who created this cultivator.:banana2:
Keep us updated with your germination results ...

Wow :0o: Good luck germinating those! I wouldn't trade any of them at all until after they have sprouted.

Even then, I'd grow them out to see what kind of traits they are exhibiting. And then... as far as value goes, it's your call. They're your plants, and no doubt you will get offers, it's just up to you take up those offers.

Use your gut! If you've made trades or noticed someone that has been generous to you or other growers, maybe accept a modest trade, if it's someone hounding you for a trade, do what feels right!

Want to trade? I have a D. capensis typical ready to go. :-))

Keep us posted!

It would need to be labeled Cephalotus 'Eden Black' x or Cephalotus 'Eden Black' x 'Eden Black' depending if there were 1 or 2 parents.

I've seen seeds labelled "D. muscipula 'Akai Ryu' F1", and I assumed that these were either selfed or D. 'Akai Ryu x 'Akai Ryu' progeny. Presumably it might also be accurate to label the seeds in this post as "Cephalotus 'Eden Black' F1" seeds as well, yes?

Back