User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Field trip to another Nep Grower's (Lotsa Pics Thread!!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    incredible :O
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thez yo. hope you were paying attention this where we are headed , I wonder if his grand collection started like yours, on that small patio , the bloomed into the yard and greenhouse, better watch out you may become addicted.LOL

How lucky you are , wish I could have went along with you, he has some of the nicest neps out there, and your pictures are great too , thanks for all the work

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry View Post
    Awesome plants and pics!
    It was like...heaven really. Thanks for the compliment on the pics, I honestly thought they'd turn out like smears because the day was so grey

Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin-DS View Post
    incredible :O
    Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by uphwiz View Post
    thez yo. hope you were paying attention this where we are headed , I wonder if his grand collection started like yours, on that small patio , the bloomed into the yard and greenhouse, better watch out you may become addicted.LOL

How lucky you are , wish I could have went along with you, he has some of the nicest neps out there, and your pictures are great too , thanks for all the work
    I *hope* my collection ends up like his! I just need to find somewhere to live where I have a nice yard to put the neps in instead of a tiny balcony

Yeah, I'm soooo glad he let me come over! I'm sure you have other nepenthes-o-philes in your neck of the woods, and being in the East you can always go to the Atlanta botanical gardens too. Thanks, I love photography and the driving wasn't bad either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wowza! - Both for his amazing plants & your treasure-trove of pics. Thanks

One of my impressions from the pics is that the mass of tangled 'greenery' (vines & invading grasses) helps to create a more humid micro-environment around his plants. This mass of green and getting a quick 'hose-over' every day would seem to provide much different conditions than a few lonely pots sitting out - like most of us can do in the summer. Is this also the impression you got?

Now that you've shared the pics, how about more of your 'impressions' of his growing approach, maintenance (or lack of), watering, etc - anything that hit you ......
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem, thanks again for the nudge

Oh yeah it did seem more humid around his plants because he has them strung up all over the place in his yard, which isn't too big (it's overrun by neps and tortoises ) so it keeps the moisture in. I got to his place around 11:30 in the morning and stayed til about 2 in the afternoon, and his plants were still sorta wet from the morning hosing-over.

He says he hoses over them to spray them down once a day just enough to get the leaves and top of the pots moist...you can see that in some of the shots that have the top of potting mix in them that he has some nice moss growing like this one:

He says his mix is a peat/pumice sandwich with lfs on top and bottom of the pot. It seems to me that it's more like peaty-lfs with a handful of pumice thrown in...I get the feeling that his plants are actually just growing in straight-up grass roots XD. It probably helps to shade them a little too actually...and with all the field reports of the new thai species all growing in mounds of grass, it's probably the preferred habitat of a lot of them. His maintanence to his own admission is a lack-there-of (all the grass ), kind of a trial by fire: if it survives outside under his care, it stays. If it doesn't well...then he doesn't have that plant.

Oh, and I'm kinda sad that I didn't get a pic of his whole yard because I'm sure that'd help you, but maybe next time ...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man. That is the most beautiful garden I have ever seen. It pretty much embodies the fantasy garden I've had in my mind for years. I LOVE how over grown everything is. And the variety of species is just absolutely mind blowing! Give that back yard a hundred years of growing and flowering and those plants will all breed into one mega Nepenthes who's gene pool is made up of every Nepenthes ever!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those plants are amazing!!!!!!
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does he get many spontanious nep seedlings from stuff flowering without him noticing it ?
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast