What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP microscopy work

Drosera binata tentacle. Not the best shot, I don't know why the background turned out green and the tip of the tentacle was either too large or out of the field to get nice crisp colors like on the upper half. Single pass red and green collected.

Drosera%20gland.jpg

Nepenthes khasiana digestive gland. double pass, turned out quite nice, low magnification (20x lens).

Nepenthes.jpg

Last edited:
Oh veeery nice! Hey did the girl who's studying neps and dews for her PhD ever get in touch with you? When I was up at BACPS last weekend I told her there was someone doing TEM pics and stuff on the forums and you were looking for suggestions on what to do and she could probably use the extra pics...I forget her name XD

Hmm no can't say I've been contacted by anyone regarding this...

her name is Tanya Renner. student at UC Berkeley; Department of Plant & Microbial Biology

khasiana looks insane!

Scale is hard to read on those, my apologies. Reads 100μm.

Pinguicula glandular and sessile glands:
Pinguicula%20glamds%20scaled.jpg

Purple pigmentation on Stylidium debile petal:
Stylydium%20petal%20scaled.jpg

Mouse lung tissue, empty spaces are bronchioles *I believe*. (Don't have a histology book handy)

TEM2.jpg

TEM3.jpg

I thought you said the Binata was a bad picture...!

Sphagnum hyaline cells:
Shagnum%20projection%20scaled.jpg

Sarracenia seedling lid. Hood hairs (Zone 1) can be slightly distinguished up top though they were hard to get a picture of due to their transparent appearances. At the just the right angle however they can be captured. The lighter area represent white pigmentation while darker pigmentation are actually redish pigmentation:
Sarr%20lid.jpg

Sarracenia seedling zone 4 trichome hairs. Much more distinguishable than zone 1 hairs. Image was taken from the same pitcher as the above shot.
Sarrpitcherscaled.jpg

Oh wow, those are nice and shiny :-O

Thanks! If anyone does get interested I have all the technical info (i.e. excitation, filters used etc...etc...)
For size reference though, the shots above are all most all scaled to 100um. To put that in perspective, that's about the diameter of a human hair.

That's incredible!! :0o:

VERY cool French!

Would the cross section of a vft (open & closed) possibly give indication
as to its movement mechanism? (Side walls as well as the "hinge" areas?)
Not sure if its been done... but I am sure it would be a challenge to do. :scratch:

I assume it would be un-rewarding as far as a cool photo goes however.

Indeed, various pollen is always nice...

Anyway, very nice photos you have there. Great work! :bigthumpup:

Keep em' coming!

Back