What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NE CP meet.

• Thread starter Exo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    bacps
Speaking of, you going to that thing that's happening soon down in your neck of the swamp?

Not sure what your talking about lol.

And exo, i would say PA would be a good mid point. better yet if we can find someone on here that lives there and could host at their place. no need to book a conference room. just make your own hotel and flight arrangements.

Not sure what your talking about lol.

And exo, i would say PA would be a good mid point. better yet if we can find someone on here that lives there and could host at their place. no need to book a conference room. just make your own hotel and flight arrangements.

Good idea........anyone from PA around here?

@exo i know agwaupp is, not sure how open his parents would be for that tho. elgecko is from PA as well i believe.

@liz i hope i dont have work that weekend!!! seeing as its shopping season tho, ill probably be working weekends for the next 2 months =[

PA would be reasonable....but I don't know the state well, so I'd need lots of help with the planning......heck, as it is I need help with planning. :-))

Ooh!!!
Pittsburgh probably too far away, huh?
Cause there is a Phipp's Garden Center, charges rent, but that's where the Orchid Society Meetings are. Afterwards, go over to Phipps itself and see the carnivores there.
The local nursery has a few Sarrs, including Bug Series, common plants but good quality for $8, I could ask them...

Ooh!!!
Pittsburgh probably too far away, huh?
Cause there is a Phipp's Garden Center, charges rent, but that's where the Orchid Society Meetings are. Afterwards, go over to Phipps itself and see the carnivores there.
The local nursery has a few Sarrs, including Bug Series, common plants but good quality for $8, I could ask them...

Hmm.....any idea how much the rent costs?

Hmm.....any idea how much the rent costs?
Nope.
The next meeting is Nov. 21... I can find out then.
SGcvn69 is also from PGH, and I actually was the person who told her to come on here... I can't arrange something all by myself!
And ten_roaches, I know is around here, never met him in person though.

I don't know how many other NY growers would be interested but I certainly would. I'm close to Poughkeepsie NY right now, kinda not so close to you though.

This year was the first I was able to go to the NECPS show, mostly due to sheer luck. I can't however go to the meetings. It is about a 3 hr. drive from where I'm at right now and I can't regularly take an entire day off to go. I would definitely be interested in doing something with some other growers a bit further north. I saw there was some talk of a NYC group starting up a while ago, but I don't think it happened. So even if it just starts out as something small and not so official, let me know I'd be glad to help out if I can.

I don't know how many other NY growers would be interested but I certainly would. I'm close to Poughkeepsie NY right now, kinda not so close to you though.

This year was the first I was able to go to the NECPS show, mostly due to sheer luck. I can't however go to the meetings. It is about a 3 hr. drive from where I'm at right now and I can't regularly take an entire day off to go. I would definitely be interested in doing something with some other growers a bit further north. I saw there was some talk of a NYC group starting up a while ago, but I don't think it happened. So even if it just starts out as something small and not so official, let me know I'd be glad to help out if I can.

Thanks....I'd like to keep it in state if I can, I just need to find a location that everyone can get to. My job also prevents me from traveling very far....that's why I am at least trying to keep it nearby somewhere.

Makes sense, Pittsburgh is def. too far for me. Who else is in NY? Maybe we can figure out someplace in the middle for everyone.

@exo i know agwaupp is, not sure how open his parents would be for that tho. elgecko is from PA as well i believe.

@liz i hope i dont have work that weekend!!! seeing as its shopping season tho, ill probably be working weekends for the next 2 months =[

Yep, I'm from PA. So that sounds great to me.....
I'd even go south. Planning another trip to the Okefenokee Swamp. Have it around that area and see some plant in person.

For those who have Facebook and want to see some back-country pics of the Okefenokee / Everglades trip I took...
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php...60&set=a.103293703023756.7303.100000293806357

Makes sense, Pittsburgh is def. too far for me. Who else is in NY? Maybe we can figure out someplace in the middle for everyone.

I know what You're saying.
Idk, but depending if you guys can make it, Longwood is supposed to have a nice CP garden.

Brilliant, Tony P. lives not that far from me, I pm'd him, so we can see what he thinks.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

I know what You're saying.
Idk, but depending if you guys can make it, Longwood is supposed to have a nice CP garden.

Longwood.....where is that?

I'd even go south. Planning another trip to the Okefenokee Swamp. Have it around that area and see some plant in person.

For those who have Facebook and want to see some back-country pics of the Okefenokee / Everglades trip I took...
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php...60&set=a.103293703023756.7303.100000293806357
Those are wonderful!
I'm just surprised WIlmington NC doesnt have a CP society. After all, they ARE the home of the VFT

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

Brilliant, Tony P. lives not that far from me, I pm'd him, so we can see what he thinks.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

Longwood.....where is that?

Philadeliphia, I think?
http://www.longwoodgardens.org/

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

http://www.longwoodgardens.org/Sarracenias.html

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

http://www.longwoodgardens.org/orangery_1_3_2_4_1_1.html
Thats where the CP garden is

Syracuse or Binghamton NY are generally considered good mid point locations within NY. Binghamton has a pretty good sized orchid society that does an annual show too... at least I think they still do, been a while since I have been down there.

They might be worth contacting for some ideas Exo
http://www.storchidsociety.com/

Syracuse or Binghamton NY are generally considered good mid point locations within NY. Binghamton has a pretty good sized orchid society that does an annual show too... at least I think they still do, been a while since I have been down there.

Huh....I didn't know that there was anything in Binghamton other than to9ns of snow in the winter. :-))

I've never been to either of those cities though, so I don't know which one would be better.

My main idea was a medium sized event, but the more I look into this the more difficult it seems to plant it.....I may need to keep it small......geez....planning this kinda stuff is hard. :0o:

i never even heard of that, sounds cool, paddle boating through swamps =]. cept for the possibilty of hitting a gator... lol.

@exo whatever you guys decide on just PM me with the final result. ima be away from the forum for a couple a days.

This is the past discussion of a NY meet:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122009

The Bronx Botanical Gardens are quite close to me, but they're not interested in hosting any Society's so you'd have to pay the admission to meet there.
Brooklyn Botanical is much friendlier, but less accessable.
I'm on Long Island so it is a bit easier for me to get to New England by ferry than upstate.
Plus I've been with the NECPS for 5yrs now so when I have CP hang-time, it'll probly be there.
Time is a rare commodity for me these days, but I'd meet once in awhile if it wasn't too far or for a special event.

Back