Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tryin' to grow me some Sphagnum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @RSS - that's very cool! I didn't know Sphagnum spores could hang out in peat like that. I might try that method too if my LFS doesn't take off!

@swords - I started about 6 weeks or so ago, and I started seeing green about 3 or 4 weeks ago. It's progressed a little bit since then, but not by a whole lot. I figured growth was static because I kept turning the LFS over in the bags every day to aerate it a bit. Perhaps that was unnecessary, maybe even detrimental to growth. Hence my new method I'm trying. Hoping it works!!

If I had the room to start a nice Sphagnum farm, trust me I would! I think it's so cool. Very attractive, even just on its own. Alas, I only have one 48" x 18" shelf to work with, so I need to maximize the space that isn't taken up by my CPs as you can see in my first pic. Perhaps I will expand in the spring and will definitely try shredding LFS into a shallow bin under lights.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-08-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah my plants have been growing good but the sphag never really grows for me. its quite depressing actually, seeing everyone else's specatular pots =[
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might be of some use: http://www.geocities.com/butchtincher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never had any luck getting spores in dry Sphagnum to grow. Months went by with nothing, in two difft batches, so who knows. But once I got the live stuff, I found that soon I had more than I knew what to do with! Grows fairly fast.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-08-2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
    I never had any luck getting spores in dry Sphagnum to grow. Months went by with nothing, in two difft batches, so who knows. But once I got the live stuff, I found that soon I had more than I knew what to do with! Grows fairly fast.
    I think I have some NZ dried Sphagnum moss coming back to life, but there is always a chance that the growth I'm seeing is due to contamination from nearby live moss.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-08-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What brands of LFS have you guys used that has sprouted new growth?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    What brands of LFS have you guys used that has sprouted new growth?
    Nortene.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to be sour grapes, so don't think I'm trying to discourage you, but since no-one else has said it I will. I've never had a significant amount of live Sphagnum sprout from LFS or peat. I've had lots of pots where it could've happened by chance, and I've tried to force it to sprout several times in controlled conditions, and in all cases anything that may have come up was choked out by competing carpet mosses, rushes, ferns or fungus.
    On the other hand, with live strands, pretty much you're killing them or you're cultivating them. There's no simply keeping them alive - if they're happy they'll keep getting shaggier, and the time you have before you must trim them is determined solely by how long it takes the moss to smother anything of value you keep nearby.
    While I don't have experience successfully sprouting new moss from dried, based on my experiences and those of other growers who have posted here, I think just buying or trading for some moss is a substantially more cost-effective way of getting it into you collection. To get the moss for "free" you're going to have to buy dried stuff, give it space where other plants could presumably be growing, and still won't have a substantial amount of moss to work with for a bare minimum of a year, probably two years or more. To drop $15 on a gallon bag of live Sphagnum and shipping will literally put you two or three years ahead in terms of getting a useable amount into your collection, and in the same time it would take you to just sprout your own, that gallon could grow to five times its original size.
    Cherish this opportunity! Rarely in plant collecting will you find a case where an adult specimen is dramatically cheaper than starting your own.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast