Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tryin' to grow me some Sphagnum

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Joe!
    Absolutely!

While you don't need very much to begin with, indeed having a portion growing helps tremendously. I usually take a little and put it into a pot that has some CP growing in it, and IF CONDITIONS ARE RIGHT, it will take off from there. But starting from a bag of dead LFS is a slow process... but it can be done.
    Depends on how patient you are.

Good luck.

PS:
    In my experience Sphagnum likes cool temps!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you get some live moss i heard that coffee speeds up growth. Read the thread about giving Nepenthes coffee.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-08-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    seedjar & GrowinOld - very insightful comments from both of you, thanks! To be honest, I wasn't aware that they sold gallon-bags of live sphagnum until you prompted me to look. Ebay seems to be a good marketplace for live sphag (free shipping from many vendors, too!) Until now I had only come across small pots of it at certain online nurseries and wasn't interested in paying their hefty shipping charges on a small order of moss. I may be tempted to go the Ebay route.

However, you must admit there's something tremendously rewarding about sprouting something from nothing. I'm reminded of the momentary astonishment that one must have felt in the 1700s to see maggots seemingly born out a piece of meat left to sit out for a few days... that is, of course, until one realized that a perfectly tasty piece of meat was spoiled!!

@swords - I am hedging my bets and will be trying your method on a smaller scale in an empty chinese food container - it's a nice 6" x 8" plastic tray with a transparent lid about 2" deep. I'll get some gloves and a t-shirt over my mouth and get started tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sphagnum sprouts best if you keep the dried LFS or peat very moist but not soggy and sitting in water. Waterlogged dried LFS/peat just promotes anoxic conditions in the organic matter which turns it all to muck!

Grab a good sized handful of dried LFS wet it well and let the excess water drip out of it. Toss it in a ziplock bag and seal it up... put the bag under a couple fluorescent tubes for a few months. Check it every month or so to make sure it has not dried out too much. There should still be water vapor condensing on the inside of the bag but there shouldn't be any visible water sitting at the bottom of the bag. If there is no visible water condensing on the inside of the baggie then it is probably time for a little spritz of water. Be patient, it can take several months before you see anything.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tony - I had been using that exact same method for the past six weeks or so. I started to see some green (about as much as you see in the pics in my OP) but I was afraid that constantly disturbing the bags to check on them was slowing the growth, so I put it into a somewhat more permanent growing environment (death cubes).

I will have tried three different growing methods by the end of tonight. If I don't see anything in a few months, I'll just take the plunge and buy some live sphag and try to start growing that. Or, knowing me, I'll lose interest and do it sooner!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might not need to buy it. If you can be patient, it's bound to show up on the trading board.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The zip lock bag method can work, just expect it to take a lot longer than you expect. Here's some I've grown using the how to guide on the forum:

Mind you I started that from dried sphagnum around mid to late July and didn't take it out of the bag until a month and a half ago (I probably could have done this sooner).

So I'd say seeedjar is right. If you really want some, and not wait months or even years, you are best off finding a live source. I'm not really in it for quick results and just enjoy watching it grow.

I used Mosserlee long fibered sphagnum moss.
    Last edited by SeaQuestDSV; 11-08-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That moss looks great. Almost tasty? Anyway, yeah I had moss in a bag for around two months but only saw green coloration and no active growth like that. I have a couple of methods going with a couple different brands of moss so I'm confident that one will work.

I see you're growing your moss in a tub... is that in a grow rack? Under lights, or shady natural light?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast