Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tryin' to grow me some Sphagnum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Growing on a rack under fluorescent lights. The tub usually has saran wrap over the top. It lets me cut down on the misting and not having to worry about the tips turning brown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I figured I'd post an update on my sphagnum rig. I redid it in anticipation of receiving a gallon bag of live Sphagnum from an eBay vendor. Unfortunately, because of the snow, he's had to suspend all shipments until further notice... which means I might not get the live stuff until the spring!!

Anyway, I bought a couple of clear polystyrene containers and taped them together. They fit perfectly lengthwise in my grow rack, propped up between my two bins of plants. The top of the sphagnum is probably 6" from the lights.

The bottom half inch or so is peat, followed by a layer of dry LFS, followed by a layer of LFS that I ground up between my hands in the method that swords described. When (if?) I get my shipment of live moss I'll break some clumps up and put it on top of this layer.

Might there be some live growth already? Can't make it out... might be algae...

Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-08-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It _looks_ like some of it maybe coming back to life from the dried stuff.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have grown some Sarracenias from seed in pure peat moss and LFS just started growing. It is growing fairly fast. Also you know peat moss comes from moss.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like it's growing to me! It could be algae, but from my experience the moss has to get that greenish tint before it starts sprouting new growth. Just hang in there.

To speed it up you could put them under heavy lighting if possible.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm....I am not sure of that being alive. I got some NZL long fibered sphag from ebay from ravenvision orchids a while back. THe moss in the block looked amazingly clean and nice. However, soon I started to realize the trouble of using it after an year. The moss was probably nuked to kill everything. The moss always gets a deposit of algae but never ever grew out. On the other hand, I used to get sphagnum moss from Better-gro. That stuff is sometimes dirty, but man...my plants love it. They do great and it grows loads of live sphagnum. So clearly depends upon your source of the dead sphagnum. Ironically, the impure preps of dead lfs might sprout more than some of the clean ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to ask, how long before the stuff takes off? I have gotten some to start growing on a couple different occasions. This last time it has finally stuck, but I'm still not seeing the weed-like growth everyone else talks about.

I have a little in my outdoor bog container, some in a terrarium with my neps. Even a miniature variety that hitch-hiked in with a trade, (thanks!) that I thought was lost for a little bit. All of it has been showing new growth over the past year, but nothing spectacular. My red N. Albo is growing faster than this stuff!

Does it just need to reach some certain critical mass before it explodes with growth? Looking at nature, it should be harder to grow the cps then the substrate they live in right?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the catch is that we here, and a lot of people in general like to refer to it as "moss"

The truth is there are hundreds, thousands of different mosses, and of sphagnum moss, there are many different species.

So the mosses that RSS is plagued with might never take off in your outdoor bog garden, and the mosses that I take from bogs dont necessarily take off in an indoor setting.

Every moss is different so their growth will be different.

Does it just need to reach some certain critical mass before it explodes with growth? Looking at nature, it should be harder to grow the cps then the substrate they live in right?
    Not necessarily. When you think of the life-span of a carnivorous plant, for instance a sundew, most will only live a decade, or two maybe three. The moss that the sundews have been growing on has arguably never stopped growing.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast