Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tryin' to grow me some Sphagnum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tryin' to grow me some Sphagnum

So I'm really into the idea of growing Sphagnum moss these days. It just looks so nice with a CP growing out of it that I can't resist. But I don't want to pay shipping on a small pot of it when I have the option to try sprouting some myself first.

About a month ago I took some of this LFS and some of this kind as well. I put some of the first kind in ziploc bags and wet it up nicely, then I left the bags a few inches under my fluorescent lights in my grow rack. I started to see some green growth, so I made a few micro bogs out of some empty death cubes by putting a few inches of peat in the bottom of each, then a layer of dried LFS, then topped it off with what I hoped was the new, green growth from the ziploc bags. Then I flooded the cubes to an inch or two below the surface:

So what do you think... is this real growth or do my eyes deceive me? If this works (or really, even if it doesn't) I'll try my luck in sprouting some of the second type of LFS (Better Gro).
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-08-2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't help you, unfortunately. I do wish you luck

It's just...your title made me think of this:

Had to share

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love that line

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May be of a resource

http://bluegrasscarnivores.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read that page many times, it was very helpful! However, that guide assumes you already have a culture of live sphagnum, whereas I'm trying to get some live growth off of dried sphagnum. I take it the conditions under which dead sphagnum may or may not sprout new growth are somewhat different than those conditions that would sustain an existing live culture. Or not so much?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless its been sterilized, dried sphagnum will have dormant spores present on it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just peat/sand/perlite, I had no intention of it starting to grow. Just another option out there. The sides of the tank were exposed to light and grew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long ago did you start your moss? It can take about 90 days for it to get going. Sometimes the green tint you show is a precursor to the LFS starting and sometimes it just stays green like that and never actually grows.

I've found in a highland tank you got faster germination off a tray of previously dried LFS than in lowland conditions but that may have been due to the HL tank having lots of humidified incoming air 24/7 and daily rains from a sprayer for the mounted orchids and everything else got wet as well.

If you wanna get serious about farming some Sphagnum get a low wide tray like a jiffy seedling tray (11" x 21") or even a nice under the bed sterlite bin (large but shallow). I got the best germination from LFS by shredding it, take two handfuls and grind them (dry) against one another until you have just bits and pieces, maybe this frees up spores or something but it seems to come back better.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-08-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast