What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terraforum's 2011 Calendar Previews!!!

List of those interested in a purchase

1. i<3carnivores
2. massmorels
3. swords
4. Taliesin-DS
5. Copper (2)
6. RL7836
7. Lil Stinkpot
(We want to make this easier not harder for Amp - please no versions of 'me')

I would be interested in 2 calendars.

Jim Pyrzynski

1. i<3carnivores
2. massmorels
3. swords
4. Taliesin-DS
5. Copper (2)
6. RL7836
7. Lil Stinkpot
8. jpyrzynski (x2)
9. _ReApEr

GORGEOUS. I want. Now.

Sorry, here's my intent to purchase in list form:

1. i<3carnivores
2. massmorels
3. swords
4. Taliesin-DS
5. Copper (2)
6. RL7836
7. Lil Stinkpot
8. jpyrzynski (x2)
9. _ReApEr
10. TheFury

1. i<3carnivores
2. massmorels
3. swords
4. Taliesin-DS
5. Copper (2)
6. RL7836
7. Lil Stinkpot
8. jpyrzynski (x2)
9. _ReApEr
10. TheFury
11. Awgaupp<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

1. i<3carnivores
2. massmorels
3. swords
4. Taliesin-DS
5. Copper (2)
6. RL7836
7. Lil Stinkpot
8. jpyrzynski (x2)
9. _ReApEr
10. TheFury
11. Awgaupp
12.Exo

So please, tell others whether in person or on other forums.
I've posted links to this thread on CPUK, Matt's forum and the CP listserver. That leaves at least the Nep forum & Aidan's place for anyone interested (as well as other's that I'm probably forgetting like ICPS...)(& duplicates on those I've listed...) :-O

sounds great Ron! thanks so much!

*EDIT* errors have been fixed.

Last edited:
Hey how about listing them on Ebay as well?

Yeah a buy it now would rock on ebay, betcha lots of people would get them for xmas gifts - my granny gives me a calendar every year without fail! Can you do reprints with the printer your going with? If so try a short run and if they sell out do a bigger run. Edmund Scientifics catalog might take some too, look em up here: (http://www.scientificsonline.com/) and get in touch send them a promo hard copy. Could start a precedent for you and a yearly series! You never know where making contacts might lead. Don't forget to advertise them to all the CP and orchid vendors they may also take an interest in such a niche plant related item. An email with a link to your preview shots (maybe a bit larger) would speak volumes I'm sure. Calendars are good all year but this is the time to really start getting them out there, it's like calendar season or something! LOL

I'm not sure if they distribute calendars but www.ingramperiodicals.com used to distribute my Battle Helm heavy metal mag when it was in printed format in the late 1990s and early 2000s - they got me my UPC code so it could be scanned at checkouts (only $150 for lifetime) and put it in shops all over the states. You could see if they do calendars or can direct you to someone who does handle them to booksellers and newsstands.

Last edited:
great work amphirion,

I'd like a couple if that is ok.

1. i<3carnivores
2. massmorels
3. swords
4. Taliesin-DS
5. Copper (2)
6. RL7836
7. Lil Stinkpot
8. jpyrzynski (x2)
9. _ReApEr
10. TheFury
11. Awgaupp
12.Exo
13 uphwiz _ jimmy x 2 one for home 1 for office

1. i<3carnivores
2. massmorels
3. swords
4. Taliesin-DS
5. Copper (2)
6. RL7836
7. Lil Stinkpot
8. jpyrzynski (x2)
9. _ReApEr
10. TheFury
11. Awgaupp
12.Exo
14. PaulJ69

1. i<3carnivores
2. massmorels
3. swords
4. Taliesin-DS
5. Copper (2)
6. RL7836
7. Lil Stinkpot
8. jpyrzynski (x2)
9. _ReApEr
10. TheFury
11. Awgaupp
12.Exo
14. PaulJ69
15. Chezilla

I'll take one. The december playmate is an amazing photo.

Correct Nomenclature

I love the idea, and I really like the photos and the calendar layout. I would be happy to own one, but I am only adverse to propagating/supporting any disregard of correct nomenclature. I believe we should uphold and support international agreements concerning how we write the names of our beloved plants, to make our world of CP just a little bit easier and slightly less confusing.

There are just too many CP growers that not only disregard the hard earned existing naming conventions, but try to promulgate their own brand of plant anarchy, using their own naming conventions, ignoring those that have been carefully developed to help limit international confusion. I continue to personally deal with issues created by those who choose to ignore the existing naming conventions and moderate for problems this creates for others, as well.

-------
So it is said that there is a Sarracenia cultivar named: Wilkerson's Red, and that the photo titled that, is not actually that, but instead is a selfing or F2 seedling from that cultivar. First, I find no record of such a cultivar being registered and unless it has already been submitted and is just awaiting publication, publishing it in this calendar could interfere with its future proper publication and subsequent registration of this name as a valid cultivar name.

I checked out "Shropshire Sarracenias" website and they list it as Wilkerson Red, but even though they write the name on their website as if it were a valid registered cultivar name, it is not. The originator/owner of this plant should take the trouble /effort (actually very little effort) to register this plant as a cultivar. Unofficial, invalid plant names don't help anyone. The best ID I could recommend for this plant is (S. flava x leucophylla) x self.

It should simply be titled: Sarracenia hybrid. Or if the actual parentage be known, that could be given. It is easy to see, that despite its possibly complex parentage that it closely resembles Sarracenia leucophylla, but that is no reason to publish a plant as a cultivar, when that cultivar has not been registered yet, and especially when it isn't that plant at all, but rather a plant from an F2 crossing.

BTW, I also believe one of the other Sarracenia in the calendar should be corrected to read Sarracenia rubra.

In botany subspecies is abbreviated to subsp. and in zoology it is ssp. The correct abbreviation is subsp. and not sp. or even ssp. These abbreviations are frequently confused (I don't know why), sp. is used when the genus is known (e.g. Sarracenia sp.), but the actual species is not known, but the abbreviation subsp. is used to indicate a botanical subspecies. Another problem is that there is no publication for that particular subspecies of Sarracenia rubra. In other words, there is no such plant, currently in publication as Sarracenia rubra subsp. rubra. There are subspecies of rubra published as, Sarracenia rubra subsp. alabamensis, Sarracenia rubra subsp. gulfensis, Sarracenia rubra subsp. jonesii, and Sarracenia rubra subsp. wherryi, but not Sarracenia rubra subsp. rubra. It would be most accurate to simply call it Sarracenia rubra since that is what the type species actual name is. Calling it Sarracenia rubra ssp. rubra would be the same inaccuracy as calling it Sarracenia rubra forma. typica which is another incorrect way I've seen it done in the past. I believe this plant is simply the typical or type species, Sarracenia rubra. It appears to be a fine example of the type species, and I think it is just fine to call it what it is - Sarracenia rubra.

Last edited:
hahaha. thanks for the lesson in semantics and nomenclature Joseph. I'll be sure to fix those photos. Thanks a lot for your help.

also didnt know that it was subsp. for plants and ssp. for animals. learned something new today.

hi andrew,
i'm into getting one of these! will the calender have all the holidays listed on it too? send me a pm if you want...

peace, tech...

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

1. i<3carnivores
2. massmorels
3. swords
4. Taliesin-DS
5. Copper (2)
6. RL7836
7. Lil Stinkpot
8. jpyrzynski (x2)
9. _ReApEr
10. TheFury
11. Awgaupp
12.Exo
14. PaulJ69
15. Chezilla
16. technoracer
]

will these have all the holidays listed on them too?

thinking about doing holidays---problem is there are so many, and i dont want to offend anybody leaving certain holidays out or putting certain holidays in. so, i decided to be pc by not putting in ANY holidays...but if holidays are insisted, i will put in american holidays----i feel so sorry for the europeans....:lol:

Howdy amphirion,
Thanks. Put me down for one.

I hope I didn't come off, too pedantic. It's just difficult for me to understand why, with existing international, cooperatively constructed naming systems, both botanical and horticultural (available on the internet), that so many large growers opt to go with unofficial unregistered names instead of the FREE, cultivar registering program. A program where a written description and photographic standard are published and recorded, available for anyone to compare with their own plants, to help ensure that the plant they are growing, at least, matches the official registered description and photo.

But without correct use of the cultivar naming system, there's nothing to prevent everyone from creating and distributing a plant they call, Sarracenia "Shooting Star" (which could be variously derived from any Sarracenia species or hybrid) , and if they write their name incorrectly as Sarracenia 'Shooting Star' with single quotes, a format reserved for officially registered cultivars, then distribute those plants into the world of CP horticulturists, where effectively one CP grower could have obtained hundreds of Sarracenia plants, from assorted sources, all named (Shooting Star), but none that look the same or are even closely related to one another. Imagine how much confusion and frustration that can be created under those circumstances. The official cultivar naming system, does exist, but is extremely underutilized, many growers shunning it, for various reasons -- the one I hear most often is that it isn't good enough, yet. I'm afraid, that if it continues to be neglected that the state of CP horticulture will become entirely and unnecessarily confounded.

1. i<3carnivores
2. massmorels
3. swords
4. Taliesin-DS
5. Copper (2)
6. RL7836
7. Lil Stinkpot
8. jpyrzynski (x2)
9. _ReApEr
10. TheFury
11. Awgaupp
12.Exo