Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Health insurance - why bother?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $35 dollars a month has so far saved me over 35k in the last 3 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    You gotta love the mandate. Since the Nixon Administration the Republicans have been trying to pass a health insurance mandate. Ted Kennedy was the one mainly responsible for blocking it. So the Republicans whine, piss, moan and throw tantrums that a health bill won't pass without it. Kennedy dies and a bill passes with a mandate. Now guess which party is the biggest critics of the mandate.

They'll just deduct it from your tax refund if you don't pay the penalty.
    one problem with this line of thought....the bill was passed with an exclusively democrat vote....all the republicans voted against it......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    We had a nice little meeting today at work, some of you may have heard me complain that I have insurance yet can't afford to go to the doctor cos I can't afford the deductible, well now they've quintupled it!
    you can thank Obama for that..
    you have to give more to pay for his new plan..pure and simple.
    *someone* has to pay for it! who did you think would pay for it?
    you are one of the "lucky" ones..you have a job..
    therefore you are one of the "haves" and its up to you to support everyone else..
    This is exactly according to the plan..I dont see why you are surprised..
    everyone knew this would happen..if you want to provide health insurance for everyone,
    its going to cost..a LOT..and we all have to pay a lot more..you are one of the first to find this out in real terms in their real life..
    expect more of the same in the future..

I dont see why this is a surprise to anyone..you got what you asked for when voted for this kind of change..now you have the change in your own life..you should be happy!
    this is EXACTLY what you voted for..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    you can thank Obama for that..
    you have to give more to pay for his new plan..pure and simple.
    *someone* has to pay for it! who did you think would pay for it?
    you are one of the "lucky" ones..you have a job..
    therefore you are one of the "haves" and its up to you to support everyone else..
    This is exactly according to the plan..I dont see why you are surprised..
    everyone knew this would happen..if you want to provide health insurance for everyone,
    its going to cost..a LOT..and we all have to pay a lot more..you are one of the first to find this out in real terms in their real life..
    expect more of the same in the future..

I dont see why this is a surprise to anyone..you got what you asked for when voted for this kind of change..now you have the change in your own life..you should be happy!
    this is EXACTLY what you voted for..

Scot
    yah know Scot, i tried to tell them that......but the general consensus was "Oh my costs wont go up, i dont make enough"......there isnt a single nation that has this kinda health care plan that doesnt cost EVERYONE........they seemed to forget that "those rich guys" are things like their bosses and insurance companies, if their costs go up your costs as an employee go up.....and as soon as DC figures out they cant tax "those rich guys" enough to pay for the healthc care bill they will start taxing the guy that makes $20K a year more.....
    Last edited by rattler; 11-24-2010 at 07:46 AM.
    cervid serial killer
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    yah know Scot, i tried to tell them that......but the general consensus was "Oh my costs wont go up, i dont make enough"......there isnt a single nation that has this kinda health care plan that doesnt cost EVERYONE........they seemed to forget that "those rich guys" are things like their bosses and insurance companies, if their costs go up your costs as an employee go up.....and as soon as DC figures out they cant tax "those rich guys" enough to pay for the healthc care bill they will start taxing the guy that makes $20K a year more.....
    yeah I know..I always (sadly) have to laugh every time I hear "lets make the rich pay their fair share"..I heard it all the time recently during election season..
    what liberals dont realize is that "the rich" already pay way more than the average person..
    and to the democrats in office, we are ALL the rich..if you have a job, ANY job, you ARE "the rich"..and you will pay..

If you didnt believe that before now, then you bought the propaganda..
    you were lied to to get your vote..and it worked..
    if democrats told the truth about what they really want to do, and what it will cost you personally, they could never get elected..so they HAVE to lie...its the only way they can stay in office.

and we now see, in this thread, a perfect example of the truth finally dawning..
    to many of us this is not a surprise..we knew all along this was going to happen.
    welcome to the new world order..its what you voted for.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just want to point out that although republicans voted against it, this plan is similar to Bush Sr's vision.

This is why it is important to know which kind of republican you are talking about. A neo-con or a conservative. The Bushes were neo-cons.

Aside from the legality issue being played out by some states, I have a few beefs with government run healthcare. Which are...

1. Like Social Security and Medicare, it is a ponzi scheme. It only works if more people are paying into it than are on the take. We all know SS will not be there for most of us when we retire unless they take our 401K's (which they are talking about doing). Why do we think this will be any different.

2. It does nothing to address the spiraling costs of healthcare. It simply increases the funds to pay for them. Costs will go up not down.

I have a few other but they are complex macro-economic observations that would only muddy the waters of this conversation.

OH and I in now way endorse the current system. My health insurance sucks too. My employer has dropped HMO and PPO and now only offers high deductible which they self insure. So if they don't pay out, they make money. I'll let you decide if they pay out or not.
    Last edited by dashman; 11-24-2010 at 08:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dashman View Post
    Just want to point out that although republicans voted against it, this plan is similar to Bush Sr's vision.

This is why it is important to know which kind of republican you are talking about. A neo-con or a conservative. The Bushes were neo-cons.

Aside from the legality issue being played out by some states, I have a few beefs with government run healthcare. Which are...

1. Like Social Security and Medicare, it is a ponzi scheme. It only works if more people are paying into it than are on the take. We all know SS will not be there for most of us when we retire unless they take our 401K's (which they are talking about doing). Why do we think this will be any different.

2. It does nothing to address the spiraling costs of healthcare. It simply increases the funds to pay for them. Costs will go up not down.

I have a few other but they are complex macro-economic observations that would only muddy the waters of this conversation.

OH and I in now way endorse the current system. My health insurance sucks too. My employer has dropped HMO and PPO and now only offers high deductible which they self insure. So if they don't pay out, they make money. I'll let you decide if they pay out or not.
    doesnt matter what kind of republican, i know the difference between a neocon and a conservative....EVERY person with an R behind their name voted against it, if your blameing the republicans for this mess your a moron cause everyone of them no matter what kind they are voted against it......
    cervid serial killer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ideally it would be great if everyone had good healthcare..
    thats certainty a worthy goal..
    the problem is, we dont live in an ideal world.

but politicians (both sides) can never admit we dont live in an ideal world..
    they promise us everything, and we buy it..because thats how they get reelected..

but then reality kicks in, and we all complain that we were lied to..well of COURSE we were lied to!
    where have you been the last 200 years?

The simple fact is we simply cant AFFORD to give health care to everyone..
    it cant be done..we dont have enough money.
    the politicians will never say that..they want us to buy the utopioan version of their reality,
    where "someone else will pay for it..the evil greedy rich..but dont worry, it wont effect you at all."

I had no health insurance of any kind between the ages of 15 and 35..
    thank God I never needed it..
    but what could I do about it?
    nothing..its just life..life isnt always fair.
    If I get laid off (always a high probability) I will have no health insurance again..
    what can I do about it?
    nothing..people have lived for millions of years without it, I can too..
    all I can do is try to get a new job..its that 'personal responsibility" thing we dont hear much about anymore.

I dont see how it became the governments responsibility to provide every living person with health care and retirement money..why is that the governments job??

Its their job, because they said they would do it for us..(in exchange for keeping them personally in power, and rich) and we, being gullible and lazy, said YES! I will vote for you!

its really societys fault we are in this mess..not the government..
    the government only gives us what we want..
    if we said NO we dont want this, government would stop doing it..
    but unfortunately our society is about evenly divided on what it is we want..
    So we just keep swapping one set of bad politicans for another set, and nothing ever changes..
    right now we are stuck with a particularly bad bunch of politicians, who are only making things worse, not better..but they are doing that because half the county said "YES! please do this! we believe what you told us! we will vote for you so you will stay powerful and rich"!

and we got what we asked for..
    I think the democrats in office are really blameless..they are simply doing what they were elected to do..
    and they have to keep doing it because if they dont they wont get reelected in a few years..
    they have to keep their (deluded) base happy..for the votes..
    they have to keep their power and money..this is how the game is played..
    its not their fault you all told them to do this..they are simply doing their job.
    change can only come when enough people realize this *isnt* what we want afterall..
    but the odds of that ever happening seem slim..so we are stuck with it..

Scot

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast