Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any trouble plants? A list of trouble

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strangely enough, my Darlingtonia grows fine in green plastic pots filled with Chilean sphagnum.... nothing special, no cooling. I guess I just found a forgiving clone.

One problem plant for me has been N. lowii. I've had a few, and each time, they seem to catch mites out of nowhere and die pretty quickly.

I'm willing to try again with N. izumiae, which came in with mites and did poorly.... but maybe that's not its fault.

And then there's U. graminifolia. Whatever I do, it just stares at me... "You expect ME to grow and not die? You're crazy!". D:
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-29-2010 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually have trouble with the aquatic plants. My bladderworts always get covered in algae...or they just die.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem plants... hmmm

At the top of the list, definitely Nepenthes ventricosa. I can NOT get one of those to just be happy!

I seem to have some problems with mexican butterworts.... I just don't even know where to begin with them, as far as keeping their soil moist or what to kind of substrate or how much light....

I'm also really bad at getting Utricularia to flower....
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought bladderworts are easy! I have one coming soon (U. bisquamata).

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

Pinguicula primuliflora is pain.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 11-29-2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    "Due to the recent economic crisis and budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarracenia21 View Post
    I thought bladderworts are easy! I have one coming soon (U. bisquamata).

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

Pinguicula primuliflora is pain.
    The terrestrial ones are. Aquatics are another story. I agree with Bary Rice.
    Last edited by SDCPs; 11-29-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    D. regia
    Once it's at least 2-3", it becomes quite easy but keeping it alive when a seedling is 1" and trying to get to 2" has been an issue for me.

Darlingtonia outside in NJ just doesn't work (imho) without some weird ice setup or flowing water from a cold mountain spring... people in the PNW don't realize how great they have it...

U. quelchii is being a pita for me recently & I have yet to figure out exactly why. Latest experiments seem to indicate that my humidity is too low....

Reliably bringing any plant from the petiolaris complex into and back out of dormancy for multiple seasons was an exercise in frustration. That group of plants is both the best & the worst of the Drosera spectrum - all in one.

D. villosa - 2 plants side-by-side, one is thriving and one is struggling to live. Same basic story with every set of conditions I could imagine. Amazing in their ability to frustrate.

While frustration is part of the growing & learning experience, finding the secrets to each plants 'happy place' is a journey worth taking & incredibly satisfying when things come together.....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oddly enough, after being a laughingstock with cobra lilys, they did wonderfully well, outside, in a planter. In gneral, I struggle with plants that want relatively cool, well-lit, highly humid conditions. So that would include D. schizandra, tuberous sundews, helis,....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried running cool water past the roots of my Darlingtonia. I am going to try it again. I find utrics very easy to grow. with the aquatics you do have to make sure not to get any carpet or hair algae in the batch. That stuff kills everything.

Aldrovanda is another one that I have trouble with.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast