What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any trouble plants? A list of trouble

I am trying to make a thread on the CPs that you have trouble with. My personal problem was Nepenthes talangensis because it wouldnt pitcher. Then I forgot to water it and it went to heaven. However, despite this horrible deed, if someone or someones give a few tips then I am willing to start anew. Also post other plants you have trouble with.

Thankyou and happy early Christmas

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... what time of year was it?
Most of my Nepenthes do not pitcher in winter.
That being said, so far, the one species I've had trouble with is Sarracenia minor

D. regia

N. macfarlanei and N. izumiae

any CP has the potential to be a problem plant if its growing perimeters arent respected. that being said N. villosa was the only plant i've ever had problems with. temperature controls are too hard to keep during the summer. the fact that the plant was smaller than my pinkie nail, might have had something to do with it as well. :scratch:
N. talangensis needs high humidity and low temperatures (mid 70s day, low 50s night). mine didnt pitcher during the summer, but has started growing in full force now that the weather has cooled down.

N. northiana.....needs more airflow than one would suspect.

N. jacquelineae .....Can't remember how to spell it's name, which is troublesome enough, but finding out what temps light level it likes best is even more so....

N. ventricosa.....I thought they were easy to grow?!?......not for me they aint, they don't like it too warm or too cold.....kinda picky.

N. rajah.....I tried one....grew great till the LFS died, so I suspect that they may need a mix that's mostly perlite.

N. ventricosa.....I thought they were easy to grow?!?......not for me they aint, they don't like it too warm or too cold.....kinda picky.

I agree with you Exo! I just don't know what went wrong ???

I agree with you Exo! I just don't know what went wrong ???

I don't know...from what I've seen, it likes constant temps of about 72F...no more, no less.

Darlingtonia californica

I heard S. minor needs a drier place.

All the plants you guys have named are no problems for me...but I haven't grown a few.

Nepenthes mikei, Aldrovanda, and strangely enough, Dionaea-- especially the red ones.

These aren't just one-time spectacular failures, they're multiple failures. :-D but I won't give in, LOL!

N. talangensis and N. mira. For me, they grow at a snail's pace, and i think my N. mira got addicted to coffee....

Also Darlingtonia likes cold roots. How do you do that?

Also Darlingtonia likes cold roots. How do you do that?

True.....I swear that they must come from the moon or something......full sun but cold roots....:scratch:

My N. venticosa chug along in any temps I give them exo, maybe you just had a bad clone....
The only plants I have problems with are N. rajah, and N. talangensis, they won't pitcher for me... Not reliably anyway, though N. talangensis currently is....
I also occasionally have problems with Dionaea or S. leucophylla during the winter, rotting and the sort...

Strangely enough, my Darlingtonia grows fine in green plastic pots filled with Chilean sphagnum.... nothing special, no cooling. I guess I just found a forgiving clone.

One problem plant for me has been N. lowii. I've had a few, and each time, they seem to catch mites out of nowhere and die pretty quickly.

I'm willing to try again with N. izumiae, which came in with mites and did poorly.... but maybe that's not its fault. :p

And then there's U. graminifolia. Whatever I do, it just stares at me... "You expect ME to grow and not die? You're crazy!". D:

I actually have trouble with the aquatic plants. My bladderworts always get covered in algae...or they just die.

Problem plants... hmmm

At the top of the list, definitely Nepenthes ventricosa. I can NOT get one of those to just be happy!

I seem to have some problems with mexican butterworts.... I just don't even know where to begin with them, as far as keeping their soil moist or what to kind of substrate or how much light....

I'm also really bad at getting Utricularia to flower....

I thought bladderworts are easy! I have one coming soon (U. bisquamata).

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

Pinguicula primuliflora is pain.

Back